Fly Tying
Scud

Commercial Tying book

I remember reading somewhere that there is a book out there that actually tells you the correct number of wraps of hackle or wire wraps on a fly based on size and pattern. Has anyone ever seen this type of book? I believe it was for commercial tyers so that the patterns are correct. I'd love to see a book like this.

Jeremy

If there is such a book I'm not aware of it... There is, however, a book written by Archie Best on commercial tying techniques. Ask for Production Tying by A.K. Best. I'm not sure if it's still in print, but it was very helpful to me as I worked to become a bit more organized with my own production work... Hope this helps.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

That book is hard to own but many librarys have copies. You could do an inter library loan and get it pretty easy. AK has his own thoughts on what fly should look like so don't expect a textbook play by play of a PMD etc.

That book is hard to own but many librarys have copies. You could do an inter library loan and get it pretty easy. AK has his own thoughts on what fly should look like so don't expect a textbook play by play of a PMD etc.

The plain idea of that book seems silly to me, and much too rigid for my liking. If I want to put in 3 spirals of wire, or 4, that is up to me, and nobody will tell me otherwise.

If you are hoping to learn the proportianate value of a fly, that is all well and good, but there is no "standard" per fly recipe with exact thread turns, and if there is, it should be burned. Learning a fly's proportions comes with tying that fly over and over again until you think it looks perfect, and then having the fish agree.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at ak's book but was shocked at the price from b&n. I have to check out amazon for it.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a book out there that actually tells you the correct number of wraps of hackle or wire wraps on a fly based on size and pattern. Has anyone ever seen this type of book? I believe it was for commercial tyers so that the patterns are correct. I'd love to see a book like this.

i have an extensive library of fly tying books and have never heard of any book strictly for fly tyers on how many wraps of this or that to put on a hook. one persons opinion on how a fly should be tied is just that his/her opinion.

if i made 3 wrap of brown and 4 wraps of grizzly on an adams dry fly is it still an adams or do we now have to call it a variant? what if i used a little extra dubbing to make a more tapered body? is that a variant also?

recipes for fly patterns provide a material list of what makes up the fly pattern and doesnt call out how many wrap of whatever goes into it.

it would be OK to make your own personal standard for how you tie flies.

i will agree with the folowing statement from blakejd

The plain idea of that book seems silly to me, and much too rigid for my liking. If I want to put in 3 spirals of wire, or 4, that is up to me, and nobody will tell me otherwise.

from the web

A. K. Best, a well known professional fly tyer and writer whose book, Production Fly Tying, suggests practical ways to streamline tying technique

"Production Fly Tying" doesn't have many complete patterns in it, and the few that are in the book have to be pieced together from section to section, but it has some of the best tips a tyer could hope for. A.K. Best gives the reader tips he has learned from his years of professional tying. Each tip is extremely helpful. Best seems to focus on tips that make it easier and faster for the tyier to increase production while not skimping on the quality of the fly. Best always has plenty of tips on how to improve the action and use of your flies.

Jeremy

I'm curious why you want this information? Is it just curiosity, or are you looking to tie flies commercially?

Jeremy

I'm curious why you want this information? Is it just curiosity, or are you looking to tie flies commercially?

I guess a little of both. I've thought about commercial and some curiosity. If I did commercial it would be by order only. I always get asked by friends why I dont. I could offset material costs asks pocket a few. I know about the taxes since I have owned another business in the past.

Jeremy

I guess a little of both. I've thought about commercial and some curiosity. If I did commercial it would be by order only. I always get asked by friends why I dont. I could offset material costs asks pocket a few. I know about the taxes since I have owned another business in the past.

Jeremy

Makes sense. As others have said, it's impossible to specify the level of detail such as number of wraps because of the minute differences in hook lengths, hackle density, and thread thickness.

Good luck in your search, though. You at least have me curious about AK's book. Might have to put that on a Christmas list.

There is a book by Randal kaufman called tying nymphs, and in the back of the book he talks about his comercial tying days and their is faster tying technics that kida tell how many wraps of thread uses and stuff,i think it may be what your refering too.i own this book its a pretty good one