Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

DECEMBER flies

Love the spey hackle on these. What did you use Jam'? Looks like some blue guinea in there too! I know you feel about the scissors. I am tough on mine and after a few swearing fits when I cant cut I buy new ones lol.

PS. Its not the coffee. Its the whiskey in your coffee that makes it tough :huh:

Used that norty stuff you get in all the shops here :D

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/flytying-plumage-heron-small.html

I am sure i could have got the same result with 'ringneck rump hackle' in fact i sub that if i tie any flies going to other countries. Both have a lovely movement in the water, kind of comes alive and both are very nice to hackle with. Blue Guinea throats, i like the Guinea gives off a nice little blue flash in the water.

Well got some new scissors coming in the mail which will be helpful as the old ones are just folding things and not cutting. Hahaha not enough Whiskey! Don't know why but i had extreme shakes handling the BM wings last night :ph34r:

Love the spey hackle on these. What did you use Jam'? Looks like some blue guinea in there too! I know you feel about the scissors. I am tough on mine and after a few swearing fits when I cant cut I buy new ones lol.

PS. Its not the coffee. Its the whiskey in your coffee that makes it tough :huh:

Used that norty stuff you get in all the shops here :D

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/flytying-plumage-heron-small.html

I am sure i could have got the same result with 'ringneck rump hackle' in fact i sub that if i tie any flies going to other countries. Both have a lovely movement in the water, kind of comes alive and both are very nice to hackle with. Blue Guinea throats, i like the Guinea gives off a nice little blue flash in the water.

Well got some new scissors coming in the mail which will be helpful as the old ones are just folding things and not cutting. Hahaha not enough Whiskey! Don't know why but i had extreme shakes handling the BM wings last night :ph34r:

Its a bummer we cannot get that stuff in the US. Looks like it ties awesome. Maybe I should check out the ringneck rump hackle. Never tried it!

the ringneck rump has an interesting sheen to it and the smaller feathers are often used for wings like on stuff like the red devil spey. The longer ones are quite suitable for hackle, very soft and mobile. I will now even use the individual fibers for shrimp feelers.

Messing around tonight...Photobucket isn't working for me so i will just attach here. I guess the whole world is uploading pictures :rolleyes:

Trying a few feather wings using some furnace hackle i had, still have to run a bodkin under the wing to shape it better.

post-29540-0-85685100-1356662852_thumb.jpg

Not so sparse feather wing.

post-29540-0-78589300-1356662905_thumb.jpg

Usual thing i throw for chinook, need to add a few more to the box for next year.

post-29540-0-33922500-1356662923_thumb.jpg

Then i thought it is so cold i would pull out some polar bear, brrr.

post-29540-0-17797600-1356662976_thumb.jpg

...waiting for my scissors to arrive!

Meaty Stuff Mr Piker20, i like the top one, that would work for sure!

Ugh i am so addicted to tying spey type flies, help me! I don't know why i find so much pleasure tying these but i do and i have a problem.

First off i tried 'Sorcerer' Original Dressing is like so...

Hook: AJ 1.5
Tag: gold flat
Tail: GP Crest
Butt: 4or5 black goose fibers twisted and wound around to form the butt.
Body: 2/3 copper flat tinsel 1/3 black angora dubbing
Rib: silver oval
Body: hackle black spey hackle. I used whiting spey hackle
Throat: Guinea
Wing: black goose
Cheek: Jungle cock
Thread: Black 6/0

Instead Using a Size #5 cheap ass spey hook, and semi-seal for the dubbing, along with purple ringneck rump hackle and some bit of purple for throat. I rekon tying something as big as a 1.5 would be too easy smile.png

PC292063_zpsf93306e8.jpg

Here is a pair.

PC292073_zpsa3f34dba.jpg

I really like the wound goose fiber butt.

Then i just did a take on a black widow, but instead of yellow i used chartreuse and changed it a bit for a tiny #8 hook

PC292071_zpscd150056.jpg

The top one is going to be tweaked and become my swap fly for eastern. Love the widows, does bottom one have chartreuse underwing or is that something on the surface where you lay them? Would look good with that underwing.

FlyFishin'Jam, I absolutely love those ties, I really have to copy some to my own salmon/sea trout box..

Piker20, he will be very happy as it is a very good Great Lakes Steelhead pattern.

Here is a recipe. Which i think Frank G swarner from this forum did?

http://glspeydee.blogspot.ca/2011_04_01_archive.html also

With the Widow Type, the bottom one has a tag/ tail type bit of 'Neon Yellow Floss'. I have seen this used on a few Atlantic flies so decided to try it out, looks kool and might add to the fly. Yeah for my next round i should do that for them all. Good tip!!!

Just funked up some of those snotty chinook flies with crests.

PC282051_zps5dff8987.jpg

Your link says the blod doesn't exist. So that fly looks like one floating about the universe already? Just shows there's nothing new. lol.gif

I like the snotty ones. Great colours for the peaty waters. Looks just as good without the JC as with.

Ok, so I'm done with the Rockers. Finishing out the year with a group of rockers and I have to say, I was alittle rusty working with the deer hair, anyway, for your viewing entertainment

Bruce Derington

post-4571-0-32502200-1356884003_thumb.jpg

post-4571-0-96055100-1356884058_thumb.jpg