Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

DECEMBER flies

I've just taken a look at my light, The label underneath says Model Number R313DP-UK. The -UK probabily indicates that it is a 240v model (we use full strength 'lectrickery here). I've had it about 5 years and am only on the second bulb. It gives a good daylight balanced light. I like it but it could be taller. When not in use the head folds down so it stands like a tower.

The idea came from something I was taught at college years ago when studying photography. Most catalogue shots are taken with a single soft box directly above the subject. This was just an adaption of that principal.

(I use the name Crackaig as I sell flies under the name Crackaig Flies, the names Alan not Craig!)

Cheers

C.

I never would of guessed your name as Alan :lol:

I do like the looks of that, Kimo ... nice finish with the epoxy or UV resin.

It brings up a question I've had about that kind of finish. As has been mentioned so many times before, most lures are designed to catch the fisherman's eye ... not necessarily the fish's. And this nice thick clear finish really catches MY eye.

But has anyone looked at one of these under water? Does the finish disappear like clear ice, leaving the material looking like the outer surface now? I am not thinking this would be bad, rather that it would make the fly look slightly smaller in diameter and perhaps even more natural. Or is the clear coat seen as a kind of shine around the body, almost like an aura?

Just wondering ... I'd eat that fly ... I am sure a fish would too, but for the same reason?

kimo, lovely fly.

Mike, i think the thought is the epoxy looks like air bubbles around the fly which naturals have. especially around the thorax if left a bit thicker there. In 2010 the guys fishing English stock waters for competitions were going slimmer slimmer slimmer. some did away with thread and used stretched flexi floss straight on hook using knot at each end. Others used really anorexic thread buzzers. The flies in most cases look pants to my eyes but the fish nailed them. but this last year its been the opposite. many guys going back to crunchers, dawl bachs boobies etc.

Mike and Piker,

You bring up some very good points.

For me the first priority is protecting the fly. The second would be to add "depth" and sheen to the body of the fly.

The stripped peacock herl is a new material for me and I need to fish these for a while to determine how much

resin is needed.

This fly has the minimum amount of resin coating.

natural_midge2.jpg

Kimo

I agree with all that's been said. I like the idea of mimicing the air bubble around some bugs.

My main reason for wondering is that beautiful "wet" look the resin gives the finished product. To us, in the air, the wet look is great. But ... what is a wet look IN the water. Now, here's the main purpose of my query. I haven't purchased any of the systems yet. I like the UV hardening idea. Would it be possible to add color to the coating? Is it available in colors already? I am hoping to get some gift cards for Christmas and this is one area I am thinking of spending some.

Would it be possible to add color to the coating? Is it available in colors already? I am hoping to get some gift cards for Christmas and this is one area I am thinking of spending some.

Some better than I will reply but I believe you lay a thin layer of UV resin, cure it, colour over that with sharpie and then apply thin layer over that and cure. I don't believe the resin runs the marker like CA glue does.

Whats your method of curing Simon? I have some white ceramic paint I bought for just that purpose. I figured to overcoat my fly and dry/cure in the oven and then color the finished product and coat with ca glue. How do you place yours in an oven without them sticking to the pan or having a flat side? I'm sure the answer is simple but then again so am I... :lol:

Murray

Just for a change. As I've been tying lots of small flies...

Royal_0001_zpsbb08045b.jpg

And now back to the small stuff.

Cheers,

C.

Whats your method of curing Simon? I have some white ceramic paint I bought for just that purpose. I figured to overcoat my fly and dry/cure in the oven and then color the finished product and coat with ca glue. How do you place yours in an oven without them sticking to the pan or having a flat side? I'm sure the answer is simple but then again so am I... :lol:

Murray

I painted them with Pebeo Vitrea 160 glass paint, one layer at a time allowing each to dry. Then suspended them from the racks in the wife's oven. I just hang them eye down and they balance nicely on the bend.

Cook in a medium hot oven (160 C) for 40 minutes. Hey presto! Doesnt seem to melt the nano-silk. I'm thinking now of ways to make a painted cured body first then apply feathers etc for more conventional patterns.

Simon

Thanks Simon, I knew it would be a simple solution...apparently my simple mind just could not come up with it... :lol:

Murray