Fly Tying
WhiteBuffalo58

Ribbing a Wooly Bugger

When tying Wooly Buggers, I seem to be having a hard time with trapping quite a bit of hackle underneath the ribbing. Is that just normal, or is there a good technic for minimizing this? Generally, i'm using Flashbou for ribbing.

Thanks,

Rob

I don't think you need to worry about counter ribbing the wire or other material unless you specifically like that look on the fly. generally speaking, when you counter rib, that material stands out more vs. a more sub dued version where you would wind the rib the same direction as the thread.

The easiest way to rib flies and not worry about trapping down hackle, is to rib it as if it wasn't there. block it out of your mind and wind it up as fast as possible. Doing this traps much fewer fibers vs. trying to "wiggle" weave it through.

I wondered if I was just trying too hard or thinking about it too much. I've tried both wrap and counterwrap methods. From what I could tell, i'm getting pretty much the same result with both. Wire does seem to "work in" a little better, but don't always want the added weight. From what you guys are telling me, I think i'm probably doing alright. I'll keep practicing and I think it'll work out.

Thanks for the replies,

Rob

It only takes a couple seconds with a bodkin and you can usually pick out any fibers that was caught in the ribbing process. I agree that wire will trap less fibers in the ribbing step and will be a lot more durable anyway. The thing I am confused about is the issue of added weight by using wire instead of mylar. Its a woolly bugger and is supposed to be fished below the waters surface and if anything, the wire will just add a slight bit of weight to help keep it down where it is intended to be. Most buggers are tied with either lead wraps or a bead head or both, so a little piece of wire shouldn't do any harm. Just my opinion, and its been wrong before. Take Care, Tony

When I tie a bugger with a chenille body I will embed the hackle stem in the valleys, omitting the wire entirely

Another trick is to rapidly wind the wire rib through the hackle. What this will do is push the hackle barbs out of the way vs trapping them down when you wrap the rib slowly.

Wiggling the wire through the hackle as mentioned above is also another method.

Bob, not sure your intention for using Flashabou as a rib, but if it's only to add some flash, try using one of the chenilles with the flash already in it. Cactus chenille, Estaz or some of the tinsel chenilles work well on buggers, add some flash & you don't need to add the Flashabou rib. I know Danville Chenille Co makes a variety of chenilles with bits of flash in them. You'll just have to find a shop that sells them.

Another method, with Flashabou is tie it in the front, fold it back along the sides of the chenille body & wrap your hackle over it. Then you can let the Flashabou extend into the tail to add some additional flash. No need to add a rib here either.

It may be a bit more complicated, but Flashabou, can also be twisted around a piece of wire & used as a rib. Of course that will add a bit of weight, depending on the size wire you use. There are some very good & shiny tying wires now that could also be used to rib a bugger & add a little flash as well.

There is often more than one way to solve most tying problems. Experience & practice to the best way to keep the hackles from being trapped.

So when you're tying with chenille and omitting the rib, do you start the hackle at the rear and wrap forward. Then tie it off at the eye?

I'm trying to picture the sequence. Tie in the tail, then the chenille, thread forward to the eye, wrap the chenille and tie off. Then run the thread back through the chenille to tie in the hackle, then forward to the eye, wrap the hackle and then tie off? I'm assuming when wrapping the thread forward and back, try to keep the thread in the grooves between the chenille?

Sounds like that would make for a pretty clean fly.

Rob

Thanks tidewater,

I've been using a fairly drab dubbing for the body and the flashbou was indeed to add a little sparkle to it. I have several colors of very fine tinsel that might be a better choice, also a few different flashy colored chenilles that I think i'll try.

As far as weight goes, I was trying to tie one that'll have a fairly slow decent. I'll be fishing in mostly calm waters, over sunken brushpiles. I thought maybe the slower decent would give it a little more time in the water. Not sure of that reasoning, but thought i'd try it anyway.

Rob

Tie in tail

Tie in hackle by the tip at the bend

Tie in chenille at the bend

Wrap chenille to eye. tie off

Wrap hackle in valleys of the chenille. Tie off

Wrap head

Go fishing

Rule of thumb is usually the first item to wrap forward is the last item attached to the hook shank