Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Deer Hair Shrimp

First step by step in a LONG time. Enjoy!

MATERIALS

Hook: Gamakatsu SC-15

Thread: Danville Flat Waxed 6/0 White

Eyes: Homemade (mono, 6/0 glass bead dipped in red paint, and CCG)

Legs: Round Rubber (black)

Flash: Pearl Krystal Flash

Hackle: Whiting American Rooster Saddle White

Body: Pearl Estaz

Eyes: X-Small Dazl Eye Lead

Head: White Deer Hair

Mount hook in vise. You will be putting a bit of tension on it so be sure its in the vise good.

SAM_0027.jpg

Start thread

SAM_0030.jpg

Tie in Mono-Eyes

SAM_0031.jpg

Tie in small bunch of krystal flash and black rubber legs. Trim both to your liking

SAM_0033.jpg

Tie in and palmer rooster saddle. This particular piece had very long barbules but I think it makes it look more "shrimpy"

SAM_0034.jpg

Tie in and palmer body material. You can definitely experiment here with different materials. Estaz is nice and easy.

SAM_0035.jpg

Tie in weighted eyes. Use whatever you'd like or no eyes at all. I like the xsmall dazl type eyes or bead chain. Secure with figure 8 wraps and zap-a-gap ca.

SAM_0037.jpg

Cut and stack deer hair. Do not spin. To stack the deer hair cut off a bunch a little bigger then a pencil, comb out small hairs and underfur, then lay on the shank. Make two pinch wraps while firmly holding the clump of hair. Pull thread straight up and let it flare, not spin. Push up flared tag ends on the deer hair and tie in another clump just in front of the eyes. Whip finish and secure thread with glue.

SAM_0038.jpg

Trim head to bullet shape like shown below. Trim bottom as well since there is usually some stray deer hair that make it on the bottom of the fly.

SAM_0039.jpg

Now go fish!

SAM_0041.jpg

SAM_0042.jpg

First step by step in a LONG time. Enjoy!

MATERIALS

Hook: Gamakatsu SC-15

Thread: Danville Flat Waxed 6/0 White

Eyes: Homemade (mono, 6/0 glass bead dipped in red paint, and CCG)

Legs: Round Rubber (black)

Flash: Pearl Krystal Flash

Hackle: Whiting American Rooster Saddle White

Body: Pearl Estaz

Eyes: X-Small Dazl Eye Lead

Head: White Deer Hair

Mount hook in vise. You will be putting a bit of tension on it so be sure its in the vise good.

SAM_0027.jpg

Start thread

SAM_0030.jpg

Tie in Mono-Eyes

SAM_0031.jpg

Tie in small bunch of krystal flash and black rubber legs. Trim both to your liking

SAM_0033.jpg

Tie in and palmer rooster saddle. This particular piece had very long barbules but I think it makes it look more "shrimpy"

SAM_0034.jpg

Tie in and palmer body material. You can definitely experiment here with different materials. Estaz is nice and easy.

SAM_0035.jpg

Tie in weighted eyes. Use whatever you'd like or no eyes at all. I like the xsmall dazl type eyes or bead chain. Secure with figure 8 wraps and zap-a-gap ca.

SAM_0037.jpg

Cut and stack deer hair. Do not spin. To stack the deer hair cut off a bunch a little bigger then a pencil, comb out small hairs and underfur, then lay on the shank. Make two pinch wraps while firmly holding the clump of hair. Pull thread straight up and let it flare, not spin. Push up flared tag ends on the deer hair and tie in another clump just in front of the eyes. Whip finish and secure thread with glue.

SAM_0038.jpg

Trim head to bullet shape like shown below. Trim bottom as well since there is usually some stray deer hair that make it on the bottom of the fly.

SAM_0039.jpg

Now go fish!

SAM_0041.jpg

SAM_0042.jpg

Great fly!

I was experimenting with a similar style but I could never get a body that I liked.

I was using a palmered marabou tail, with a palmered chenille for a collar, and could never quite get the body style I was looking for.

I'm going to give one of these guys a shot on some bonefish tomorrow.

Thanks for the awesome SBS!