Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Deer Hair Stuff..

Decided to mess with deer hair a bit today. Tied up a few decent ones and even made a little SBS. The SBS is a deer hair shrimp and is posted in the SBS section of the forum http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=70110 or on my blog (in my signature line).

A few pics..

Deer Hair Shrimp

SAM_0041.jpg

Slider

SAM_0046.jpg

Dave Skoks Flatwing Mullet Muddler (I only went off a picture and my imagination, not sure if its even close to his lol) I tied it on gamakatsu 3/0 as his are listed with. Here is the flat wing portion of it:

SAM_0047.jpg

Basically I made the flat wing portion, I palmered marabou and stacked the head. ( I was lazy when I got to the deer hair portion but it came out "ok")

SAM_0049.jpg

SAM_0051.jpg

Those look great, so good, I had to check out the SBS. I always have trouble stacking a nice deer hair head over lead eyes. I have tried to figure eight but it looks like you're tying one clump in back of and one clump in front of, the SBS didn't say exactly where to tie the first clump in but I'm guessing with the bare shank in back of the lead eyes is that is where it goes.

Very nice flies!

Kirk

Those look great, so good, I had to check out the SBS. I always have trouble stacking a nice deer hair head over lead eyes. I have tried to figure eight but it looks like you're tying one clump in back of and one clump in front of, the SBS didn't say exactly where to tie the first clump in but I'm guessing with the bare shank in back of the lead eyes is that is where it goes.

Very nice flies!

Kirk

The problem with doing a SBS on a deer hair fly is I dont like to stop during the "stacking" to photograph. I've tried it and ended up with a mess.

This is really hard explain through words but I am going to try ( I will also do some more photo's tonight)Here is what I did. I cut a piece of deer hair a little bigger then a pencil. I laid it on the shank about half way between lead eyes and front of estaz. I do two pinch wraps about 1/4"-1/2" in from the ends of deer hair. Bring the thread back up and while holding the hair stack tightly pull up on the thread firm. The tag ends will flare and when you release the stack it will flare as well (all on top of the shank. With my non-bobbin hand I pull back on the tag ends and move the thread forward of the lead eyes. Once in front of the eyes I cut as big of a piece that will fit and follow my same stacking only this time when I move the thread forward I whipfinish and zap.

Like I said, I will make one tonight and take some additional photos. If I am feeling real crazy I may even try a video :huh:

Also check out this link. Starting at step 7 the author begins stacking.

http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/tying/stacking-deer-hair/

Nice looking ties. And thanks for the deer hair info. I've always liked the way those heads look but never tried to tie one.

Ben, that's what I thought. That's not tricky. One clump in back of and one clump in front of the lead eyes.

If you want a picture of a step or procedure where you have to use to hands to hold the materials, try using your self timer - press the shutter release, grab your stuff, pose on the hook and wait for shutter release.

With my DSLR, I have a shutter release on a cord and I will hold that in my mouth and release the shutter with my lips while holding the materials or doing whatever.

Thanks,

Kirk

Ben, that's what I thought. That's not tricky. One clump in back of and one clump in front of the lead eyes.

If you want a picture of a step or procedure where you have to use to hands to hold the materials, try using your self timer - press the shutter release, grab your stuff, pose on the hook and wait for shutter release.

With my DSLR, I have a shutter release on a cord and I will hold that in my mouth and release the shutter with my lips while holding the materials or doing whatever.

Thanks,

Kirk

Good idea!! :lol:

I would like to try the tan one if I get to FL this winter but I have never been very successful stacking deer hair. This makes me want to again give it a try.

I would like to try the tan one if I get to FL this winter but I have never been very successful stacking deer hair. This makes me want to again give it a try.

Ditz. You can do this in one stack if you have good hair. I believe on the tan one I used yearling elk. Grab a thick piece (2 pencil thickness or so), lay on top of the shank, tie two pinch wraps and pull up. Easier then most think!

Those are good looking flies, Alan. I like the size and might try something like them soon.

Kirk ... taking pictures with your mouth? Can you also tie a cherry stem in a knot with those lips? wink.gif

Ditz. You can do this in one stack if you have good hair. I believe on the tan one I used yearling elk. Grab a thick piece (2 pencil thickness or so), lay on top of the shank, tie two pinch wraps and pull up. Easier then most think!

When we get back home I will give it another try. I have spun deer hair for years but have never stacked it. The pulling up may be the trick. I have always pulled down and it just does the spinning thing. I will give it another try. Thanks