Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

Colton Reels?

Just wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with Colton reels, and if so, have there been any problems? From what I gather, they aren't sold in shops, just from the manufacturer itself. Can't find a whole lot about them other than people who have them seem to like them. It's the larger saltwater sizes that I'm interested in. The price is certainly right, even the big game models go for under $300. Thanks.

I just bought one of the Torrents and it sure appears to be a winner but I have yet to get it wet so I am only going by looks. I did have a "net conversation" with a fella in the FL panhandle that has been useing one on the big tarpon that travel thru his area and he had nothing but good to say for his Colton and it convinced me since I doubt I will ever put a reel thru the stresses that he does. I also bought one of the new Colton rods and it does a fine job in the backyard. I also have one of his older rods over a year ago and it is a strong rod with lots of backbone. It is quite fast and I did overline the 7wt with a 8wt line to slow it down some but I have no regrets on this first rod that I purchased.

I understand that Colton has some real heavy stuff for bluewater if that is the kind of tackle you are looking for. I would suggest that you call the folks and talk with them. I have temporarily forget the Bob's last name but I believe he steered me in the right direction. I intended to buy the reel that is one step larger than the one that I ended up getting. Bob talked me out of the larger reel and I think it was probably the correct decision. I think he will lead you into the correct reel. Bob is located in one of the areas that 'Sandy' hit pretty hard so if you have any trouble getting a response just be patient. The last I heard he was living off of a generator for power. My outfit luckily was shipped just a day or two before the storm hit.

Good luck and I think you will be happy with the Colton if that is what you decide on.

I will also add that this is my first reel of modern times. Until now I have been using Pflueger Medalists and an old Model SA reel that was made by Hardy in the early 70's.

Many thanks for the input Ditz. The only (overwhelmingly positive) reviews I've been able to find are on the Stripers On Line site, but I trust you guys a lot more than I do the crew at SOL. I'm indeed looking at their biggest Torrent to go with the 14wt I bought recently. Colton's prices are so low that they seem too good to be true, except for the fact that their reels are only sold through the manufacturer, so in effect, we're getting them wholesale. I think I'll follow your suggestion and give them a call. IMO, any time there's a chance of picking up a quality reel for under $250, it's well worth investigating. The prices on Abels and Islanders, etc., are way beyond what I'm willing to spend. Again, thanks a million.

He is located up there in striper country and I would believe that is where a lot of his sales are located though I know that there are some sold in the south east as well. I know he does sell some big stuff though I didn't question him about it since I have no need for such big sticks. If it happens that you do get the Colton and after you get to use let me know how it works out for you if you happen to think about it.

I'll be sure to let you know Ditz - I just did a search on Reel-Time, (fancy meeting you there LOL) and it seems everybody there likes Coltons as well. What I find interesting is that I haven't seen a SINGLE bad review from anyone so far, and everybody raves about the drag, which is my #1 consideration. I'd say I'm pretty much sold on a Torrent. It's just too good a deal to pass up, especially with a lifetime warranty. Thanks again. :)

I have an older model that I use for stripers and blues. I forget the name off hand but I have had absolutely no complaints in about five years. The fit and finish is excellent and the drag could stop the proverbial freight train. The company (guy) is great too. When I ordered the reel, I ordered an extra spool as well. When it arrived they had sent me two complete reels. I called them to let them know and he said,"oh well good for you, keep it." I would definitely buy from them again.

Edit: it is a CRG II.

Thanks for the input, guys. I spent about an hour or so on the phone with Bob (the owner) and wound up getting the 11/13 and the 13/15 Torrents. First impressions are that they're solidly built and well-finished. The drag appears to be as advertised - powerful and smooth. The proof will be in the pudding next summer, although I'd be surprised if there are any major issues. Bob is very accessible, and happy to talk gear and fishing. As it turns out, we know quite a few of the same people, and he even invited me to go offshore with him next summer. Can't remember the folks at Orvis ever doing that. (LOL)

Some of you guys have too much money. I just bought my first "large arbor" reel ... for less than $50.00. When you say it's priced right for under $300 ... I guess I am much poorer than I thought.

I'm about as far from a gear snob as you can get, but if you're after powerful saltwater gamefish, your reel is the last place you want to cut corners. A $50 reel wouldn't last 30 seconds under those circumstances. I've seen 12-pound tuna turn cheapo reels into smoking wreckage without working up a sweat. Two quality big game reels for $500 is a steal.

I opted to try a CRG II on my 4 weight. Love it - very well built, feels like very snug tollerances and the drag is nice (not that it's vital on a 4wt, I just like it). They were very good to deal with in my experience as well.

Admittedly, that's a reel with very different intended uses than the torrent, but I've no doubt its a good reel based on my experience.

It feels to me like there are some very nice reels at an affordable pricepoint right now. Colton, fly fishing benefactories and Allen come to mind quick...

It feels to me like there are some very nice reels at an affordable pricepoint right now. Colton, fly fishing benefactories and Allen come to mind quick...

Will, I agree 100%. There's no reason to drop big bucks on a reel these days unless you want to. If you're willing to do some research and ask around for reviews, there are some really good deals out there. The big plus with Colton is that they retail their own products. I hate to think what a Colton would cost with a fly shop markup. It'd be out of my league for sure.

you guys understand that whatever small direct sales fly reel/fly fishing company you are talking about--- they are all the exact same thing...

They mass order the reels from an Asian manufacturing company and slap their names on it

There is a reason they are cheap... they are not made with the same tolerances and materials of high end fishing equipment

they cost about $10-35... so yes you are still getting slammed on a markup... but with no return to support a local business that supports the sport

these reels at best are being made/designed by people who have no idea what fly fishing is.... At worst - they are reverse engineering real fly reels and subbing in low grade materials OR illegally running these reels off as grey market products.

A $50 reel wouldn't last 30 seconds under those circumstances. I've seen 12-pound tuna turn cheapo reels into smoking wreckage without working up a sweat.

I have used 2 medalist anti reverse reels for years on tuna including 50 lb. bluefin. in my book these are cheaper reels but will out last a lot of high end reels.the big water medalist 300 yds. of 30 lb. dacron (forget what in the new gel spun lines)

post-624-0-01341800-1358795879_thumb.jpg