Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
atxdiscgolfer

ADVICE ON TYING IN HUNGARIAN PATRIDGE HACKLE

I AM HAVING A HARD TIME TYING THIS IN, I USUALLY TIE IN HACKLE FROM THE SMALL END OF THE FEATHER BUT IT KEEPS BREAKING OFF ON THESE FEATHERS FOR SOME REASON, SHOULD I TIE IN AT THE BIG END OF THE FEATHER?

I AM TYING A PRINCE OF DARKNESS FLY SIZE 14

Are you removing the barbs from one side first? If so, are you just peeling them off? That can significantly reduce the remaining thickness of the stem, making it easier to break off. I have found that it works better to cut the unwanted barbs off with a good sharp pair of scissors.

Check out this SBS that Crackaig posted http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=70172

You will see he pulls the fibres back from the narrow tip. ties the tip down with a couple of wraps. Foldsthe tip back on itself toward the hook bend and wrap couple of wraps over this. This locks it tight and it is less likely to snap. If you use too tight wraps you can still cut it off. If you are too rough with winding the hackle it will snap but it is less likely using this method. Also ensure you untwist your thread before tying hackle tip in as a flat portion of thread will hold better with less likelyhood of cutting through. Also you can try waxing the thread as this will help hold the hackle tip in without you putting excessive pressure through your wraps.

Finally, some feathers are just naturally weaker and snap to annoy us.:angry:

the short answer is yes you can tie in the feather by the butt vs the tip

substitutions of any kind are perfectly acceptable. try a hen neck or saddle feather. may have a stronger stem

see step 18, 19 & 20 for creating a hackle collar in the following link

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=68

Are you using hackle pliers when you wind it? If you are, (and this is the expensive solution), take a fine longish rubber band, cut it and tie it to the base of the hackle pliers. Hold the rubber band rather than the hackle pliers when you wind. This will smooth out any bumps and jerks you might make as you wind.

Also your hackles may be a little dry. If you think they are wash them and put a drop of hair conditioner in the final rinse.

Cheers,

C.

Where is the stem breaking? At the tie-in point? At the hackle pliers?

Partridge feathers are a bit more delicate than others. Starling are even worse.I strip away one side, then tie them in by the tip.I used to have the same problem, and tried several types of pliers. I came to the conclusion that I was just heavy handed, and lightened up a bit. It's like learning to ride a unicycle - it just takes practice and a light touch. I still have problems once in a while with Starling feathers.

If they are breaking at the pliers, try putting a piece of heat-shrink tubing (Radio Shack) in ONE jaw. Make it stick out from the end of the jaw just a bit so that the tip of the jaw is not exposed.

flytire's suggestion about using hen is a good one. Hen can be substituted almost anywhere, and it does have a stronger stem.

Keep at it.

You may also have a bad batch of feathers -- especially if you bought them in a package with just free floating feathers (as opposed to a full Hun skin). I usually find those packets contain poorer quality goods. Just a thought... :ph34r:

Thanks everyone for these suggestions, the feathers are usually breaking at the tip; so far they are on the fly and i guess i will see what happens this weekend on my local tailwater. I guess that they are just very delicate because i havent had this problem at all with Grizzly hackle; i have only been tying flies for like 7 or 8 months so it could just be beginners error.

I guess that they are just very delicate because i havent had this problem at all with Grizzly hackle

the stem at the tip would be more delicate than the stem at the butt and most likely more delicate than a grizzly hackle stem.

even when tying in a delicate feather by the butt, remember that where you attach a hackle plier is going to be much thinner and will still require care when wrapping.

i would suggest learning to tie those flies with a stronger feather until you have the confidence to move on to more delicate feathers. the fish will never know the difference.

dont be stymied when tying these flies, it does take practice and learning to be a little light handed when tying thin stemmed feathers. ive been tying 30+ years and i break the all the time.