Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BuzFly

Articulated Top Water Flies..........

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

A few of the Articulated Topwater Flies I have been working on.

The shanks are 25mm and the soft foam head was airbrushed and attached to the shank.

All body material was white/pearl/clear to start with and was airbrushed once it was applied to the shanks/hook and then trimmed to size.

Brad

I do like those! Should drive the smallies nuts. Now I actually have a use for the Copic rig my wife got me.

How do you keep from air brushing the tail hackles?

Very innovativwe approach by the way. The color options are limitless and different head shapes can give gurglers, divers, poppers and sliders like yours.

Rocco

You actually want to brush the feathers and other materials. The body was white before I hit it with the airbrush. Since the pens are alcohol based they will last a long time on most of materials. When they fade just hit them with the brush. The tail feathers have some olive airbrushed on them. It's all good....

I have read that one can make weedless top water flies with these articulated shanks. Does the fly land with the hook pointing up simply by reversing the tail hook? I don't really understand why it will be without any further modifications...

Great flies by the way! It's exactly what the bass need around here.

You could make it weedless by inverting the hook but then you might need to keel the fly a little so it wont flip upside down not that the fish would care. You could also put a weed guard on the hook with some mono.

Nice Rapala. I went the synthetic route because spinning takes longer but they will float higher with deer hair. The body is made of Baitfish Emulator spun on wire and then wrapped around the shanks. They start off white and are brushed later.

Brad