Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BillP

uglyflies/mistakes

I have a cup on my desk of fly's that did not turn out right or look right .How do I remove the materials besides scraping with a razor Blade??

I thought I read somewhere you could soak them in bleach. I would like to reuse the hooks

The easiest way is a sharp razor blade.......ugly flies catch fish do catch fish!

Mike

ugly flies catch fish do catch fish!

Mike

This so very true! I do not throw away or scrap my ugly (or mistake) flies, I use them personally for fishing. Surprisingly some have fished very well, which just shows me that it is not for the fisherman to decide what the fish will attempt to eat!

I have a cup on my desk of fly's that did not turn out right or look right

you could take an ugly one out and retie it again until it meets your expectation of quality

i would save the uglies an fish them as other have said

Keep the ugly ones and fish them. When I tie for customers, I usually tie a few more of a certin pattern that the customer has requested and then I select the very best for him/her and keep the ones that I feel were not perfect for myself. Fish don't care as much as paying customers.

Oh !!! You could send the ugly ones to someone you don't like but have to buy a present for, like a secret Santa office kind of thing. If you can't do it anonamously ... then just sign it SCOwens or Piker20.

LOL Mike! That is not a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Oh i have so many ugly flies in my cup if i fished them for a whole season there would still be some left, when would i get a chance to fish the pretty ones?

Oh !!! You could send the ugly ones to someone you don't like but have to buy a present for, like a secret Santa office kind of thing. If you can't do it anonamously ... then just sign it SCOwens or Piker20.

Mike they would know it was a hoax because Piker and I only send out perfect flies haha