Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Duffin Boy

Simms Wading Jacket

I am weighing the difference between the Simms Gortex Jacket ( not the Guide $500.00 one) and the Cabelas Gortex wading jacket.

Anyone have any feedback on either one?

I have tried on the Simms but the Cabelas would be sight unseen.

Thanks

Cheers

Duff

Hi - (I think I've seen your name on the hipwader site.)

I have the Cabela's wading jacket - 149.95 US in their current catalogue.

I purchased it sight unseen and have been happy with it. Lots of pockets and water repellency has been good.

In looking around at other models i.e. Simms, Bare, Orvis, LL Bean, etc., Cabela's seem a good value even in Canadian $.

Check Cabela's return policy as I believe they will take an item back for whatever reason.

Hope this helps.

I've got the Simms Freestone jacket and I've been extremely happy with it. I wear it in snow, rain and just plain windy days. I've never once gotten damp in it and keeps me warmer on a windy day with some thinsulate and fleece than my heavier winter coats did with the same thinsualte and fleece! Oh and it's going on its 4th year.

Hi there Duffin Boy.

My lovely wife got me the Cabela's back country packable wading jacket a christmas or two ago and its perfect.Its the shorty version and I know that its not exactly what you're looking at but your model should be even better. The model I have has a nice silent soft shell and is very wind/waterproof as well as packable .The hood is just right and well..I can't seem to think of a single thing wrong with it.It seems that the 05' version has a few more options soooo.

Cheers and good luck in your decision.

The flyfisher occasionally known as Coldreive

Thanks for the feed back.

Blue- Thats the Cabelas jacket in question, I'm familiar with the return policy but the first hand experience was what I was after.. thanks.

Fish- I wear Gortex and swear by it. Pocket capacity, features, drawbacks were what I was questioning.

Darrin- Nice to hear from you, wonder why I haven't bumped into you on the streams (Oh yeah, I'm chained to my desk and don't get out much!)rolleyes.gif

Thanks all!

Cheers in the New Year!

Duff

Ya never know,we may have passed each other on the Grand or somewhere.I would have been the guy not watching were my feet where being placed and thus stumbling all over the place. I'm generally distinquished by that and my poor casting dunno.gif .

Cheers and good luck with the jacket

Consider Patagonia too. They invented the true wading jacket and have been copied by many. No one beats their warranty though.

The SST will probably go on sale soon as I hear their new SST will be a stretchable material.

I've had two SST's. The first one I sold at a good price after probably 7 years of hard use. I sold it because I found a breathable SST at half price. Patagonia is good at changing colors and marking stuff down at 50% off if you look around.

Sign in to follow this