Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jackpine

Hello from Dublin, Ohio

I thought it was about time for me to join in and participate in this great form. I've been a member for FTF for the past few months, watching, learning and getting great advice from all the posts and posters on this site. About 37 years ago I had my first introduction to fly tying/fly fishing at a class I took at the University of Idaho. Now I'm working to rekindle my passion for the sport. I have a cabin up in Minnesota on the boundary waters where I plan to retire, and I need to develop my skills while I'm still down here in civilization. I recently took fly tying, stream entomology, and casting classes at Mad River Outfitters, my local fly shop, and I'll be taking additional classes this winter locally and over in Dayton with the MVFF. I grew up in New Mexico, vacationed in Colorado, lived and worked in Washington, Oregon and Idaho, and always equated fly fishing with trout, salmon, and steelhead. I'm happy to find that my Midwestern home is rich with fly fishing potential and a great community to learn from and grow my skills.

Welcome aboard! I'm over in Dayton......I'm envious of your retirement plans.....I love the boundary waters!

Mike

Hi Mike, I'm going to be driving over to an intermediate fly tying class hosted by the Miami Vally Fly Fishers at your Gander Mountain starting in January. I work in West Jefferson, so I'll just head out from work, and then have a bit longer drive home.

The MVFF is a good club, I'm sure you will enjoy the classes...I don't belong, but know quite a few members.....I've been meaning to join, just haven't had the time....with my youngest graduating from HS this Spring, I have a feeling i will have more time on my hands....Is your cabin near Ely or closer to Gunflint? I've caught Northerns, Smallmouth, and walleye on the fly up there, but have yet to catch a Laker....I am generally there mid-Summer and they are down too deep then....Some day!

Mike

My cabin is at Wolf Point on Crane Lake, which sits between Voyageurs National Park and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW or BWCA). I'm about 2 miles from the Canadian border, with direct access to hundreds of thousands of acres of water right off the doak out my front door. I've not mastered the fly yet, just comming to the realization of the new oppertunies for going after small mouth, northern, and yes even walleye. I've been a traditional bait and spin caster fisherman until recently, and now looking forward to improving my fly fishing skills and success rate over the next few years.