Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piscineidiot

The OCDC

I introduce to you:

The Obsessive Compulsive Detail Crab

Just a crab pattern I made up a week or so ago - my last for the year, and I think, one to be duplicated in the new one...

Finished2_zpsa647a215.jpg

Finished1_zpsebab64eb.jpg

Hope you like it.

Owen

Hey Owen, great to hear from you again. That's one amazing crab! Looks good enough to toss into boiling water. :) BTW - don't be such a stranger - I'd love to see more of your creations.

Somebody get me a bib and a hammer, that is good enough to eat.

Somebody get me a bib and a hammer, that is good enough to eat.

Thanks Mike Chell,

The legs are made by knotting EP fibre and coating with Clear Cure Goo and marking with permanent markers. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out, being slightly translucent like the real thing.

utyer,

Thanks buddy, that's the look I was going for :)

The legs are made by knotting EP fibre and coating with Clear Cure Goo and marking with permanent markers. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out, being slightly translucent like the real thing.

With the part of the leg next to the body not coated, I'll bet those legs will move well through the water, kicking and walking like the real thing. That is, if you're actually going to fish with that work of art.

How long's it take to make one?

Hey guys,

Yeah, the theory behind knotting EP fibre and only coating the ends was for just that - movement. I also feel it gives the legs body while offering little resistance while sinking like suede chenille legs tend to. That way, the fly will sink faster with less weight and still sink hook point up.

How long is a tricky question... The actual tying itself takes no more than 20 minutes. The prep is the big time consumer - It simply depends on how good you are at knotting and coating etc. I took a coupla hours at it myself, but I'm sure there are people out there who could knock one out in 45 minutes or so.

I do intend to fish it - just gotta pick my battles though. I'm thinking clean sandflats...

Owen

this is such an awesome crab! question, with the colour do you do that before the coating in goo?

Think i saw this on flylife too, le awesome!

this is such an awesome crab! question, with the colour do you do that before the coating in goo?

Think i saw this on flylife too, le awesome!

Yep, colour it before coating with goo - that way the fragile acrylic paint gets sealed in and protected.

;)