Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackaig

Stumped! What is this for?

Folks...

Resolution of how this thing can be used, or works, is NOT rocket science! If you conjoin two small spools of material, such as on those shown by flytire, or the Pearsall's Silk Thread spools, with a piece of dowel, you create a 'single' spool that will fit nicely in the bobbin. When the two materials are threaded through their respective tubes, as long as both are pulled simultaneously, they will both 'feed' off at the same rate and tension. For example; a black material and a white one would enable one to wind both simultaneously on the hook to create a nice uniform mosquito body.

Hope this helps understand the "Thing".

Cheers!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Folks...

Resolution of how this thing can be used, or works, is NOT rocket science! If you conjoin two small spools of material, such as on those shown by flytire, or the Pearsall's Silk Thread spools, with a piece of dowel, you create a 'single' spool that will fit nicely in the bobbin. When the two materials are threaded through their respective tubes, as long as both are pulled simultaneously, they will both 'feed' off at the same rate and tension. For example; a black material and a white one would enable one to wind both simultaneously on the hook to create a nice uniform mosquito body.

Hope this helps understand the "Thing".

Cheers!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Sounds good on paper, but I think it would not work very well.

Appears to be ANOTHER creation of an engineer with a solution in search of a problem.... :unsure:

Sounds good on paper, but I think it would not work very well.

Appears to be ANOTHER creation of an engineer with a solution in search of a problem.... :unsure:

You may well be right about it's origin! For those who, like myself, prefer to work with the bobbin tip close to the hook, it would definitely be difficult to do two colors at the same time on small hooks (say below a #1!).

I believe it was P.T. Barnum who noted that a "sucker was born every day". I see no place for one on my tying table!

Frank