Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Another 'Gotahave' Gadget

The endless array of fly tying gadgets has a new addition.

I was watching a video on tying big predator flies made in Europe. (You could tell it was Europe with the sound off because the guy's work space was immaculate and every hair fell into place perfectly first time, and he did not have the chewed nails of North American fly tying fanatics. This was confirmed with the sound on as the background music was not gangstah rap.)

Anyway, when it came time to sweep the materials back out of the way to spin the deer hair/wool head, he used a plastic spring clamp with semi circular half jaws that neatly grabbed the material w/o wrapping it with lead or rubber bands. Easy on, easy off with no damage to the most delicate materials. What an elegant fix for a minor problme. Just the thing my overflowing work space needs.

Anyone else use it and know where it cna be had?

Rocco

In my part of this country, they are known as 'soda straws'. You simply slide a short section back over the hook eye and then over the tail materials to hold them together and out of the way. When the fly is finished, it is removed by making a single cut down it's length, and parallel to the orientation of the materials, with a sharp double edge razor blade. Voila'! It is cut off with no loss of tailing materials.

Chefben4, you discovered my secret. I keep one or two of those little clips on my bobbin cradle so it is handy if I need it. As far as the music identifying where a tier is from...I have to disagree. I am about as American as it gets and I wouldn't be caught dead listening to that "gangstah" rap-crap. Not all of us on this side of the pond gets into that so-called music. I didn't mean to get up on the soap box again, BUT I don't like being put into a catagory where I and probably some of the older tiers on here don't belong.

No sweat. I didn't mean to come off as a grumpy old fart. I tried to be open minded when my sons started listening to rap, but would rather have a drill bit stuck in my ear.

Chefben4, you discovered my secret. I keep one or two of those little clips on my bobbin cradle so it is handy if I need it. As far as the music identifying where a tier is from...I have to disagree. I am about as American as it gets and I wouldn't be caught dead listening to that "gangstah" rap-crap. Not all of us on this side of the pond gets into that so-called music. I didn't mean to get up on the soap box again, BUT I don't like being put into a catagory where I and probably some of the older tiers on here don't belong.

I agree. I'm 38 and can't stand rap. I'm as american as it gets blue collar worker that lives in nj and I love country. That stereo type pisses me off!

A hair clip is a genius idea! I use those little wire twist ties you get with sandwich bags on small flies.

As regards music. I'm really, really into my metal. Though last time I listened to death metal whilst at the desk I ended up sacrificing an animal to ensure my fly's success. Got an awesome pelt out of it, though...

The hair clip works. Its great if you get all your stuff in one trip. Sally Hansens, Hair Clips, Fake Nails.. Its all good :lol:

I listen to an extreme wide variety of music when im tying. Depends on my mood. Im 27 but I was brought up appreciating good music (as well as the "crap" lol). :blink:

The hair clip works. Its great if you get all your stuff in one trip. Sally Hansens, Hair Clips, Fake Nails.. Its all good :lol:

I listen to an extreme wide variety of music when im tying. Depends on my mood. Im 27 but I was brought up appreciating good music (as well as the "crap" lol). :blink:

An eclectic taste is the best kind of taste :D My ipod can go from Taylor swift to Cannibal Corpse for example, hahaha

not many gangsta rap songs about fly fishing...And way worse than that is 'Country Music'. It sounds depressing, boring, lame, nails scratching on a blackboard horrible truly aweful!!!! /me runs as i know all u old fogies listen to that garbage!

LOL

I just read back over this and perchjerker reminded me of what I did before finding the little clips. I used to use a straw to hold the tailing material out of harms way, but I used to split it first and then slide it into position. Since I'm a painter and body guy I always have masking tape around and that holds the straw in place. I liked to use 1/4" tape because it wasn't so bulky and would have it around the straw and the head of the vice. A couple little pieces is all thats needed. When finished just pull the tape and remove the straw. If you try this, wrap the straw and then leave a tag end of tape and then either pinch it or fold it over on itself and then you can get ahold of it easier to unwrap when finished. Now I'm off and running to the music department...I don't guess that I should have thrown my opinion so hard and called rap crap. One mans trash is another mans treasure...Im very broad on the music. There is everything from old Black Sabbath and Judas Priest to Hank Williams senior and Waylon Jennings in my computer. I even like a lot of classical and some opera(mostly females). Nobody can get down like CCR or Nickleback, depending on the mood. Blondie was one of the first to introduce rap back in the 70's with "Rapture", but I prefer her other hits. I live just a few miles north of the North Carolina border and pick up a radio station out of Charlotte or Greenboro NC that plays everything. You might hear Iron Maiden and then Willie Nelson and then some MC Hammer. I am trying to overcome and listen but there is a couple of the rap songs that make me look at the radio and then the shotgun. Back to the straw thing...if the tape seems too sticky, just stick it to your shirt or pants leg a time or two and now its not all that sticky...Take Care, Tony

What passes for country music these days is hardly the depressing slow stuff you are refering to Jam. Honestly if you tweeked the subject matter and put Taylor Swift in a red vinal jump suit, I am pretty sure you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between that and "pop".

I typically listen to rock alternative from the 90s and 00s. But I also have a pretty good clasic rock collection and what I call elevator music with your Phil Collins and James Taylor type stuff. There is some country I like but it is the stuff from the mid-late 80's and the really old stuff.

Oh, as far as what the topic was actually written about, I don't have much input, I dont tie dear hair much.