Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Another 'Gotahave' Gadget

I guess the country stuff i hear is like that song about chicken on a friday night and some jeans that fit okay, has lyrics that will get inside your head and are good, but the music doesn't do it for me. Some sad songs around, i am certainly no expert at all!

My Step Dad lovvvesss country, he used to watch that 'lonesome dove' movie over and over then hog the turntable all night with his music when i lived at home. I piss him off as he hates Jazz, so i will put Louis Armstrong on :)

I am kind of a snob, live inner city, i am a semi-retired DJ and play a radio show. Tho it is completely underground house and techno straight from the beating heart of NY, Chicago, and Detroit.

Just did my show last night, had a producer in i interviewed.

Anyway whatever the genre there is a bucketload of shitty commercial poop you just have to dig through.

I use these little plastic clips from the stationary section. Usually find them on sale at Wal-Mart at the beginning of the school year for 75 cents for a pack of 8. They're about the size of the hair clips only a little wider but the smooth jaws work well on corraling materials, especially silicone legs.

Kirk

DSC_1858-2.jpg

I've stayed with the wrap of wire for holding material. But I use the single strand 12 or 14 gauge wire with the insulation on it. It's already in a circle shape so I just slip in on. If I need to, I can open it easily or just continue sliding in off the hook.

Most of my music is classical ... but there's a lot of great instrumental movie soundtracks that I can't listen to often enough. If you're interested in good instrumental music, try:

Tron: the Legacy

Gladiator

Batman: Rise of the Dark Knight

...If you're interested in good instrumental music, try:

Tron: the Legacy

Gladiator

Batman: Rise of the Dark Knight

What about ole' Pink Floyd? or was that mentioned? I did't read all of the posts...

Kirk

My own tastes in music for fly tying are all over the map --- Balkan folk music -- my son has a band called "Balkanize"; Colttraine's "Ballads"; soundtrack from "Master and Commander"; some of Tom Waits bar songs; the Chieftans; classical music and so forth... Tend to be intolerant of anything modern and listen to books on CD in the car rather than roam stations full of someone else's music choices.

Rocco

Country Music died in the mid 90s. Now it's just a bunch of douchebags wearing cowboy hats. Different than the OLD bunch of douchebags wearing cowboy hats. Everything must change, I guess.

Rap is mispronounced and is actually calledCRAP! and while almost all this so called country is not real country and still trying to figure out where it belong but it sure as heck is not real country. Yea Country music died in the mid 90's. I listen more to the older stuff and bluegrass. Again rap == CRAP! ;)

Coming from another old foggie, I like many kinds of music. Old rock into the 80's, old country into the mid 90's, blues, bluegrass, some big band, and some jazz. Sorry C-rap is not music IMO. It emulates jail birds. Why do some of our young folks want to be a jail bird and degregate females.

You can find these at the dollar store and they work great..

Hair Clips

OK Ben, 'fess up - why not just come clean and admit that you've been using your nose ring for a hackle guard. And what the hell have you been doing shopping at Claire's? Never mind, I think the cat's already out of the bag on that score. :ph34r:

Because of my non-existent attention span, I don't listen to anything while I'm tying. (or doing anything else that requires concentration) If I did play music, it would be Chicago and/or Delta blues. B)

You can find these at the dollar store and they work great..

Hair Clips

OK Ben, 'fess up - why not just come clean and admit that you've been using your nose ring for a hackle guard. And what the hell have you been doing shopping at Claire's? Never mind, I think the cat's already out of the bag on that score. :ph34r:

Because of my non-existent attention span, I don't listen to anything while I'm tying. (or doing anything else that requires concentration) If I did play music, it would be Chicago and/or Delta blues. B)

Hey go back to the saltwater section where you belong! :lol: I even saw you posted in the warmwater section! :angry: And by the way how did you learn all my secrets :blink: For the record I grew up with blues music (my dad plays a mean harmonica) and chicago blues is wimpy. Delta blues is the real stuff!

Jam'..now you are talking my kind of music. Sounds like you have a pretty good gig. I try to get around and see DJ's in my travels.

Some country and western is alright. Some bores me rotten. I love classical, metal, rock, classic rock, country, electronic, blues, jazz. Pretty much something worth listening too in all genres :)

Hey go back to the saltwater section where you belong! :lol: I even saw you posted in the warmwater section! :angry: And by the way how did you learn all my secrets :blink: For the record I grew up with blues music (my dad plays a mean harmonica) and chicago blues is wimpy. Delta blues is the real stuff!

Wimpy? Trust me, you'd never say that to a Chicago bluesman - at least not more than once. :angry: As far as behavior goes, those dudes made the Sex Pistols look like Herman's Hermits. A friend of mine who'd played with a bunch of them in Chicago brought Big Walter Horton and his band to RI to do a show and he took them out afterward to a bar over the Connecticut line. (the bars were open later there) They not only groped every babe in the joint, they started a full-scale riot on general principles. They also held the bartender at gunpoint for daring to give last call. My friend didn't dare show his face around town for weeks, since the cops were scouring the area for the perps. (the band, of course, had long since blown town) He said he thought he'd call it a career as a promoter and take up folk music.

BTW - the dude in the pic is one of my heroes - a great Delta Blues guy, not to mention his good looks and intellectual superiority.

post-281-0-81454800-1355855261_thumb.jpg

Reading through I agree that most music post 1999 has gone down the Xfactor drain. Old 1980's rap music was witty and political and heart felt. Now you have some middle class 2.4children fella rapping about his car and jewellery and all the cash he's struggling with. Same with country, now the guys dog got cured, wife wouldn't leave him cause he had a pre nup and you're left with Taylor Swift talking shite.

You can't beat Stevie Wonder, Miles Davis, meatloaf, dare I even say Prince and Jackson. Although even Prince went go pot after 90s. Oh and love JJ Cale.