Fly Tying
eastern fly

swap intrest

Sjo it would be nice to have you. Jam I like your spey variation. I have been looking at some of then also. Just haven't figured out how to tye them yet. I will give it a few more days before I start the official post for the swap. Thanks for the interest. Riff you have a pm coming from me.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, for the spey-truders this is my take on it. Start tying like your ordinary intruder pattern, e.g the split thread dubbing 'bump' and wind your hackles for the rear portion. This will be the 'truder' part.

Step 2, everything in front of this is going to be your 'spey' pattern. Take your favourite spey type fly pattern in my case i did a 'purple devil spey'. Here is a video for the 'red devil spey'

Just treat that rear bump and construction as your imaginary 'hook point' for your front construction.

I guess a LOAD of combinations could be used, funky stuff :)

I have talked to a patent lawyer this afternoon and we will be applying for a provisional patent this next week if I can get the drawings done which will allow me to market my intruder box under the patent pending clause I think the boxes will be about $15-$20 and will hold approximately 20 intruders and 36 single hook flies

I have talked to a patent lawyer this afternoon and we will be applying for a provisional patent this next week if I can get the drawings done which will allow me to market my intruder box under the patent pending clause I think the boxes will be about $15-$20 and will hold approximately 20 intruders and 36 single hook flies

Ohh boy. Keep us in the loop. Count me in on one and I havent even seen them!

As far as the swap.. Ill officially play.

Kevin the date is fine and I have no problem putting a recipe list together for the fly!

Jam' you better get in on this one. Even if you need to send in your stuff early (before you leave), you are intruder master

Kevin, you've had me searching the net for 'Intruder' info and I want to get all the opinions, do they have to be tied on shanks or are the ones tied on tubes still intruders?

I'm led to believe the overall aim is to create illusion of bulk and movement with minimal materials built up.

It all depends on who you ask.... some would say there are no true intruders on this thread

Here is what Scott Howell says (his definition is based on rigging construction)....

Intruders - shank/detached hook

Retrievers - shank/attached hook on braid loop

Tubes - tubes

Ed Ward (his definition is based on fly/material constuction)...

"a properly engineered Intruder produces a shape and movement in the water that is easily suggestive of a prawn or squid or baitfish, all at the same time, while also being more castable in relation to it's size because those effects were created through "engineering" rather than just globbing increasing bunches of material together to achieve size. The first versions of Intruders were in fact tied on large single hooks (partridge M's and N's), and it was only after experiencing unacceptable hooking injuries on fish with these types of hooks that the shank approach was devised."

There are even some that will argue that an intruder is not a "style" of fly... but rather an exact pattern

so without following the original specs, you have a varration or a completely different fly

Partly Ed Wards words that confused me. Another article was talking about marabou and when it stops being a leech and becomes intruder.

But anyway Kevin, if its March then I'll be in with something that is part budgie part bold sparse sparkle.

Hehe KHoss i already said 'intruder types'! don't think anyone posted an ed ward style at all and why would we when there are a billion other ways to do them. And it is much easier to say 'intruder' rather than 'articulated spey fly pattern' :)

Piker20 - they would be on a shank, not a tube. Mmmm part budgie! Or illusion of budgie...

Ok fellows I will start the swap post today with everyone here on the list. If you do not wont in pleas pm me. Khoss I know doesn't have the time. Kevin if you find that you do please let me know.

Kevin

yeah.. i'm on the "intruder style" side of the fence... it wa a particular pattern that became a style

I 'm with the max movement and profile with min materials

just interesting on how people classify

I'm still not sure if I'll do it

Tying a doz of the same intruder is not something I'd look forward to doing

possible

(and this may sound very asshole-ish,but thats not the intension... i only fish my own flies)