Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Fish Hunter

A few years ago I bought a Zodiak type rubber raft. It was called a fish hunter. I modifyeid it to my liking and thought it was better to fish out of than a boat. It was silent, hugged the water when going over waves, and had a very dark green bottom which allowed me to sneak up on spots with a trolling motor. I sold it and wish that I didnt. has any one else used on of these things?

Yes I have...

Once you get used to having people ask you if you are afraid if your hooks will pop the thing its a nice stable fishing platform.

Had a fishing partner sink a hook into the raft, there was a slow leak, I said leave it and they pulled the hook out like they were trying to kill it. PISSED, we had to go to shore and patch it.

I found that the air chambers on the back popped open way to easily. Does this Happen to pontoons and float tubes? Thinking of buying one or the other this summer. Can any one fill me in on the ins and outs of these things?

I can't speak for all brands, but but mine have Halkey-Roberts valves, or a knock off and they take a couple of steps to open. Many of the pontoons, maybe most, have bladders that can be patched with duct tape temporarily.

Its important with these small inflateables to watch the air pressure, which can soar as the sun heats them and drop in a rain storm or change in cloud cover. Its best to carry a pump so that it can be adjusted as needed.

I had a inflatable raft that i used for a season before i got my first driftboat. I put a electric motor on it and it was a decent little inexpensive craft but lacked a bit for river fishing.

A good way to keep the hooks from puncturing it and also to stiffen up the entire raft is to purchase a denier cover that duck hunter use. Its keeps hooks from diggin in to the raft and makes it more stable.

heres a pic of mine with the cover over it.

user posted image

Sign in to follow this