Fly Tying
Alex C.

Are flyfishers better?

from my experience fly fisherman and women have better ethics and are more curtious and willing to give out info than the other types of fisherman but skillfully like others have every type of fishing has its pros

Bait fishermen are by far MUCH smarter. The by a zebco rod 15$ some tackle 5$, a big ol'bobber and some bait 1$. Then they toss it in, sit down, relax and catch fish.

Fly Fishermen buy a rod reel line and leader for 400$, a vest 40 - 100$, flies or tie their own alot a $, waders 100$+, and knot tools picks and pockets full of other dodads for another 100$. Then they head out to the stream, look around, check the area, select a fly relax and catch a fish.

laugh.gif

There are two kinds of fishermen good and bad. A good fisherman can catch a fish in the 1/2" puddle in your back yard with a fly, worm, or spinner. They are the ones who know whats going on in the water.

LOL Mcfly, I need to introduce you to some baitfisherman here in the NW. You'd probably fall over in stickershock. laugh.gif

Like many I grew up a baitfisherman. As an outdoors kind of guy I find flyfishing to be more advatagoeus in the many local streams where I live. I dont think I am better. I like the process of tying your own fly, locating a good hole and casting to and hopefully catch that trout.

Great thread. I think that even though I fish whatever gear is suitable at the time I prefer to fly fish because I feel more in to the whole thing and more involved while at the same time just zoning out. It's the whole Zen thing man. wink.gif

I don't know if fly fishing makes me a better fisherman, but it does make me a more relaxed fisherman.

BFR

I think being a quallity fisherman or a better fisherman comes from working hard at your sport and understanding the water you fish and being able to read it whether you fly fish or not.

i grew up spin casting/bait personally...i have always looked at fly fishing as a more advanced form of fishing.

I know by saying "advanced" it sounds perhaps odd ( since the concept is still the same....cast and hope the fish is not smarter then you are). Too me there seems to be alot more involvement in it i guess dunno.gif I know i have learned MANY things i never knew since touching a fly rod and tying flys, but as far as it makeing one better then the other? nah if i was smart ...i would have kept it simple and stuck with cane pole and can-o-worms wallbash.gif

QUOTE (mcfly @ Jan 6 2005, 03:11 PM)
Bait fishermen are by far MUCH smarter. The by a zebco rod 15$ some tackle 5$, a big ol'bobber and some bait 1$. Then they toss it in, sit down, relax and catch fish.

Fly Fishermen buy a rod reel line and leader for 400$, a vest 40 - 100$, flies or tie their own alot a $, waders 100$+, and knot tools picks and pockets full of other dodads for another 100$. Then they head out to the stream, look around, check the area, select a fly relax and catch a fish.

laugh.gif

There are two kinds of fishermen good and bad. A good fisherman can catch a fish in the 1/2" puddle in your back yard with a fly, worm, or spinner. They are the ones who know whats going on in the water.

thumbsup.gif

Since I like to release most of my fish I feel better not gut hooking them with swallowed baited hooks. I'm sure there are times when a night crawler would be more productive than fly's as well as times when fly's do better than crawlers, kind of evens out. I know some very fine people who fish with bait, we all seem to have the fishing gene, and deep down we're all brothers.

QUOTE (skunked @ Jan 6 2005, 01:06 PM)
I think at every spot aaround here where a road crosses a stream there are a couple flys in trees laugh.gif

Not to mention power lines. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Steelheader69 @ Jan 6 2005, 04:19 PM)
LOL Mcfly, I need to introduce you to some baitfisherman here in the NW. You'd probably fall over in stickershock. laugh.gif

You dont want to come up here the boys are territorial about there spots they bait fish! Throwing flies,... your a God! It gives them something to watch, while they sit and wait and wait and wait.

Fishing is fishing to me. It has been said well already. Honestly, I could never think of sullying a fly rod by catching a *gasp* bass or destroying a trout by catching it with a spinning rod! j_k.gif (Actually, I think smallie fishing with a fly rod would be the ultimate in entertainment.)

No matter what, to succeed in either form you have to be either good or lucky. You can throw the most expensive lure or fly you want; if it doesn't appeal to a hungry fish, forget it! I'd rather be good than lucky, because good is more consistent than luck in my experience. (My brother once got lucky and caught a 4lb largemouth, his only fish that day. I spent the same day catching and releasing school perch with my ultra-light spinner, fish he couldn't buy a bite from.)

Great, I have thought about spinning and bass fishing. Time to get back to planning The Bass Rod... tongue.gif