Fly Tying
breambuster

Tying Thread For Small Flies

I don't understand the comment that Veevus thread is garbage. It is a great thread, but there is a learning curve with everything in fly tying.

I went through a progression, initially i liked uni and danville. Now I can't tie with Uni, I like Euro Threads, Veevus, UTC 70, gudebrod, bennechi, etc.

i like the marc petijean thread as well.

I've never had a hard time tying 18's with Uni 8/0. I do have some smaller threads laying around, but I've typically been too lazy to dig them out.

i dont know if this has been said but veevus threads are some of the strongest on the market according to this page

http://www.performanceflies.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=2&cat=277&show=10&page=1

you could also try nanosilk

http://www.theessentialfly.com/fly-tying-threads-yarns/nano-silk-black-brown-copper-grey-white-yellow-olive-and-orange.html

ive found it to be very good very strong and dosent cause much build up

Just as note to dropping those tiny hooks, or the tied flies, I keep a big, wide, magnet next to the table. I quick sweep with that and I've got hooks, flies, beads, and any tools I've dropped without getting down on your knees and searching. Extended magnets and the pickup arms they sell at Walgreen's and other stores for when I had my knee surgery are some of the handiest things to have around no matter if you're working on flies or tackle. Something always hits the floor eventually.

I don't understand the comment that Veevus thread is garbage. It is a great thread, but there is a learning curve with everything in fly tying.

I went through a progression, initially i liked uni and danville. Now I can't tie with Uni, I like Euro Threads, Veevus, UTC 70, gudebrod, bennechi, etc.

i like the marc petijean thread as well.

H Dot...maybe the spool he was using had "BEAVIS" written on it...

PT/TB