Fly Tying
njcav2002

Tying station

I am looking for a compact tying station for a space about the size of a TV tray. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have the room for a full bench.

Look at the Oasis tying stations, and then build something similar. For years I kept my materials in boxes and just got them out when I was going to tie something. My work surface was a plywood board about 12"x15" with a few pegs for spools and a few holes for tools.

Also, consider getting a tool caddy. Renzetti has a foam caddy, for about $20 that would help you keep your tools organized, minimizing the amount of space you need.

For a while I made a tray. Was thin ply wood with a lip all the way around and a gap to clamp my vice. Wasn't the most tying space in the world but I could sit with it on my lap. All my materials were in a storage box.

I looked at an Oasis then build my own. When a middle of the road Oasis (Fly Factory) went on sale at Cablea's I snatched it up.

Worth every penny. Came with little bottles to hold hooks etc.

Here are a couple pics of one that I built. It cost me about $40-$50 in materials from Home Depot, and a day's time in building it. I can easily set it on my lap and tie. In fact, I tied up a bunch while watching the Daytona 500 yesterday.

post-46100-0-40137200-1361815791_thumb.jpgpost-46100-0-85398100-1361815792_thumb.jpg

I have a pump house that I no longer use now that we are on city water. I have declared independence and will be cleaning out for my fly tying addiction.

Here are a couple pics of one that I built. It cost me about $40-$50 in materials from Home Depot, and a day's time in building it. I can easily set it on my lap and tie. In fact, I tied up a bunch while watching the Daytona 500 yesterday.

Trouser Trout, please write size of the tray if you're easily. I would be very gratefulsmile.png

I have a pump house that I no longer use now that we are on city water. I have declared independence and will be cleaning out for my fly tying addiction.

Surely you have that the wrong way around. Move the family into the pump house then you'll have proper space... ;)

There's a good article that includes plans to build one here.

Cheers,

C.

Trouser Trout, please write size of the tray if you're easily. I would be very gratefulsmile.png

Igor - The base is 22 inches wide by 17 inches deep. The sides are boards I found that are 1/4 inch thick by 3 inches wide.

I built something similar to Wavey's suggestion. Mine was cheap and simple. I still use it on top of my tying desk as a working area. I don't worry about getting paint and other nasty stuff on it. I did glue some felt to the bottom of the board to keep from scratching whatever I want to set it on. I have a good radio in my tying cubby but I would like to have a small TV.