Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Y2flytyer

Goin shoppin!

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums... And well, need advice. I always go my local fly fishing store with my materials in mind, then when i get there, i lose it and buy random materials. I have a short list of what im getting

-assortment of hooks

-Glo bug yarn

-Wing casing material

-Grizzly hackle

-Beads

-Various colors of thread

-various colors of wire

-Some floats for when the season starts back up

-Rubber legs

-elk hair

-Streamer eyes

-tubing

-goose biots

-dubbing

Obviously i'm not getting everything... But if you have suggestions please post them! ill post what i got from my haul when i get back.

Sounds like a good start list for sure porbbaly don't even need all of that to start, only thing you are missing is probably some lead wire

When I first started off I would pick a pattern and buy all the things to tie that one pattern, tie about 12, and then repeat, kind of still do the same, just don't have to buy that many materials since I have been doing it a while

lead wire was one of the first things i bought when i got my vise. Im also buying some head cement. could i use a tooth pick to apply head cement, or do i need a bodkin? Thanks for the feedback.

SCOwens turned me onto the Flytyersdungeon. My wife bought me two different packages for Christmas ... it'll take me all next year to use it up, if I'll be able to at all.

You can use a tooth pick but wooden ones will absorb some of your cement. If you buy some sally Hansen nail varnish that makes great cement and has brush in the lid. Cut 3/4 bristles off brush and it is great for tiny flies. When that bottles finished keep the brush for your applicator.

I think it is hard to steer someone in a certain direction. But let me give you a little general advice... Just have fun first and foremost. Just know that you will make mistakes at about every turn. That's OK, they are fun too. My only advice to you is have a direction. Decide what patterns you want to tie and buy the materials for those patterns to start with. From there it grows exponentially. Different sizes, different color combinations, substitute one material for another and so on. There are too many choices once you get to the Fly Shop and my head gets dizzy and I want to buy one of everything...or two or three. Limit yourself prior to going is the only way to go. Keep a note pad at you tying station and write down ideas and materials you may need when they come to you. Give yourself permission to make mistakes and be creative while you learn this art! I hope this doesn't sound preachy or pompous! :)