Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show

I heard that over half the vendors backed out before todays decision. the promoter is the one at fault in my book..

Promoter makes the rules... its their show

people didn't like it, so they backed out

not enough vendors left

Show's canceled

No one's "fault"... you don't like the rules= don't attend....you set rules that make people not attend= no show

but if there is any blame it is to the people who pulled out of the show (i think cabelas was one of the first)

they "boycotted" and pulled out of the show... what did they think would happen??

yes the economic impact the the region sucks

but thats the way of the world

clearly, it is a divided country. I'm surprised your comment cleared censors. maybe send your local newspaper a copy of this. teach your kids your version of freedom& liberty.

clearly, it is a divided country. .... teach your kids your version of freedom& liberty.

thank you, and I do. as often as possible at the range, and "my version of freedom and liberty" happens to be closely aligned with MY founding fathers' ideals and the US Constitution.

KHoss, clearly the blame is NOT on the vendors who pulled out. The vendors simply said they have a fundamental disagreement with the attitude of Reed Exhibitions, and didn't want to be part of it. Reed certainly could have gone on with the show. This is a major issue in the local area. Cabela's announced their decision several days after the first vendors pulled the plug- in all somewhere over 200 vendors reacted to Reed's last minute stupidity. Talking with several friends and acquaintences, the general attitude was that attendance was going to be significantly down among locals.

Reed is also the organizer of the SHOT (Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade) show in Vegas every year, and they didn't didn't postpone THAT show... it's co-organized by the NSSF and not open to the public. They are hypocrites, plain and simple.

I went on a weekend two years ago, and the vast majority of what I saw was outfitters, ATVs, boats, trucks, and other stuff which was fun to see but basically worthless to me. I was on the fence about going for a day this year, but they definitely made the decision for me, before they "postponed" the show.

The Lancaster FF Show is coming up in March, and there are plenty of gun shows to attend if I feel the need.

KHoss, clearly the blame is NOT on the vendors who pulled out. The vendors simply said they have a fundamental disagreement with the attitude of Reed Exhibitions, and didn't want to be part of it. Reed certainly could have gone on with the show. This is a major issue in the local area. Cabela's announced their decision several days after the first vendors pulled the plug- in all somewhere over 200 vendors reacted to Reed's last minute stupidity. Talking with several friends and acquaintences, the general attitude was that attendance was going to be significantly down among locals.

Reed is also the organizer of the SHOT (Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade) show in Vegas every year, and they didn't didn't postpone THAT show... it's co-organized by the NSSF and not open to the public. They are hypocrites, plain and simple.

The show was canceled due to customer boycotts and vendors/exhibitors pulling out...the company running the show had no choice

They didn't "simply say" anything

again, they vendors/exhibitors and consumers got exactly what they wanted/ asked for

there are tons of shows and each have a unique set of rules and regulations

you don't like a show--- don't attend

the show was canceled when the vendors/exhibitors who committed canceled and consumer rallied a boycott

yeah the SHOT show went off fine... because the vendors/exhibitors showed up

you are missing the point, K. Reed Exhibitions changed the rules two weeks before the show was to convene, and the change was based on emotional hogwash. That is why the vendors cancelled.

A comparison would be if the Somerset Fly Fishing show told all the participants two weeks before the show, "no one can display any fly boxes capable of holding more than ten flies, nor any rods which are black." It would only really matter to a fraction of the participants, but the principle is daft. There would be a reaction from the participants, and the exhibitor would say "yeah, that was dumb..." and remove the pointless restrictions--- or cancel the entire show ?

i'm aware what happened...

its a show run by a private company, who sets the rules.... right or wrong

but people didn't just say "yeah, that was dumb"... they either pulled out of exhibiting or threatened to boycott

many exhibitors who had no connection to the "rule change" pulled out

which is fine

make a stand for what you believe in OR for whatever you want... be understand the implications... in this case- no show/loss of potential business/impact on local economy

can't have a show with no exhibitors and no attendees

I didnt agree with what Reed did and I am glad that it backfired on them. I will make it a point to buy something from one of the vendors that pulled out and from one of the vendors that suffered "collateral damage".

I think the show was starting to crumble, I went every year from 1993 until 2011. Each year there were more shamwow guys and ginsu vendors. When Outdoor Channel/Comcast took a lead role over Copenhagen it really seemed to focus on the video side of hunting. All the outdoor celebrities started coming in and many of the vendors were focused on camera mounts and the video production side of things.

I skipped last year, the Lancaster FF show made the decision easier and I had no plans to go at all this year.

But then again over the last 10 years my focus has shifted from hunting to fishing so the FF shows hold more appeal to me. Now if Furimsky decides to ban articulated flies next year I will really be SOL ;)

but people didn't just say "yeah, that was dumb"... they either pulled out of exhibiting or threatened to boycott

you missed it again, REED should have said "yeah, that was dumb" and removed the pointless restrictions as soon as the first handful of vendors told them to get bent. Good riddance to Reed.

JSzymczyk has it right.

Reed's original decision was incomprehensible as I doubt 1 in 50 booths at past shows has had anything directly gun-related and, of those, maybe 1 in 100 had large cap magazines. (Judging by the constant din of duck and turkey calls you would think that was all that was on sale.)

They have to know that the vast majority of folks attending that show were highly unlikely to go all girly over a miniscule few of the thousands of items on display. Fears of a few doing so with media cameras present IMO tipped the decision math in favor of a ban because, from the get-go the Reed brain trusters are steeped in their Brit experiences and ignorant of, or uncaring about, the views of their US customers and vendors. They just want their $s.

The outfitters for trophy hunts who rely on shows for an ad mainstay each year will be badly hurt. The other damaged group will be the poor, skimply clad, top heavy, maidens who lure in the hucksters with egg money.

Where is the Lancaster show? I am already into cabin fever.

Rocco

... I doubt 1 in 50 booths at past shows has had anything directly gun-related and, of those, maybe 1 in 100 had large cap magazines. .

Then why boycott? why pull your attendance?

For right or wrong its the organizers show, with the rules they want to set

its a politically charged topic... but ultimately the organizers choice to make rules

what if it was no boots, no back packs, no jackets, ect... would it have had the same response?

you don't like it... boycott and protest to disrupt them... which happened, and backfired on everyone

can't have it both ways

- follow their rules and get business

- protest/boycott and it gets canceled

KHoss,

The vendors that pulled out took a hit in the pocket pocket to draw a line on concessions on everyone's 2nd ammendment rights. They are all in the hunitng related business and they obviously are against the nibbling away tactics of anti-gunners that, if successful now, pave the way for more Nanny Government intrusions into their lives and livelihoods. It was not a whim.

Rocco

yes they made a choice... no one forced them

and the fall out of their actions--- no show and an impact on their business and the local economy

this is not a 2nd amendment issue

its a private business using their freedom to set the rules as they see fit...

choosing to set regulations on what kind of products they want at the show

you want to sell at their show, you follow their rules

you don't like it... that's the great thing about this country... you don't have to support them

just don't go crying when you can't reap the benefits when you don't want to follow their rules

its funny to see all the paranoia... and the hypocritical statements around this