Fly Tying
toothyfisha

Big balsa poppers

I got the idea of buying some balsa and making poppers out of it. My problem is that I see tutorials around the internet for panfish and bass poppers, but nothing bigger outside of striper. Also, I won't be using any power tools simply because I don't have them. I would be cutting with a knife and then using sand paper for the rough edges. I would be using these poppers likely for muskie and pike. The balsa wood would need something to keep the teeth from going through after one fish i'm guessing. I would likely be tying them onto a 6/0 or bigger hook.

Another question, I would like to put some type of rattle into the popper. I don't want to buy them just because I want to say that I made it all. I had the idea of putting some metal bbs into a .22 casing but didn't know if the casing is big enough. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

A sharp carving knife and sandpaper will do the shaping for you. To toughen it, after it is glued to the hook, apply a liberal amount of super thin formula CA glue, it will penetrate the top layer of the balsa. It will raise the grain so you will have to sand it down before you paint and apply a top coat of epoxy or UV resin.

Foam would probably be a better bet for tying large flies for Muskie would be foam but you asked about balsa. Actually, the hard foam bobbers that I tie most of my smaller saltwater flies out of and demonstrate in my "Perch Float Popper" videos would be good, they are really lightweight and pretty damn tough. For Muskie, you would just get the larger bobbers or floats from Comal.

Kirk

i think that as long as you had access to small enough bb's the 22 cartride would be an ok size for it

Seems to me putting the rattle in the balsa would muffle the sound quite a bit. You might try tying the rattle to the hook behind the balsa, under the tail fixings. Also, glass beads from the hobby store can be smallet the bb, and might give a better sound.

I agree with Kirk that the balsa needs a coat under the paint. Maybe even more than one coat. Also. one or more layers of epoxy on the body after painting will add to the hardness of the popper. Basswood would seem a better material for muskie and pike poppers, but would be a little harder to work with hand tools. Just remember to keep your knife sharp and your lines tight.

Thanks for the replies guys. @ Kirk, I've heard that foam gives false hooksets. Also, the balsa is easier to get as far as I know.

Jolly, you're probably right about the rattles. Good call. So multiple coats of epoxy. Will the epoxy make it slippery by any chance? I figure if the wood is more slippery the teeth wouldn't go in as much.

Toothy, if you look at the "Cigar" shaped Comal floats, they have a hole in them that is ideal for inserting rattles into or plugging off each end with a piece of the plastic stick that comes with the bobber for stopping your line and putting BB's into the chamber as Jolly suggested. The floats are foam but a hard foam and would be the same as balsa as far as hooksets go.

I hope you post some pictures when you're done, would be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Kirk

For rattles I use dremel tool to bore hole large enough to completely incase the rattle and expoxy them. You can get the magnum rattles or the glass ones from Janns netcraft.

For larger popper foam blocks are the way to go.

This is frog version made of hand carved balsawood.

post-35846-0-25317500-1357186358_thumb.jpg

Toothies take a bite out balsa really easy so with all the time consuming work involved in balsa I go with foam as there no need to finish coat it.

Not trying to tell you not to but I do like balsawood the best but I will use them for bass and other fish and use foam for either.

Have fun and posts pictures!

You could also use styrofoam which is done for blue water salt fishing. Yes they will get destroyed. So what....just glue on another body at night and go fishing again the next day. Styrofoam is much lighter than even the balsa and would be much easier to cast and you can make them as large as you want and any shape with less work than balsa and basswood. Basswood is available at Hobbie Lobby and other craft stores along with balsa. You could also go with a tube type body and just slide the body over the hook that has a tail tied on. I have heard that the tube body will actually slide up the line when a fish hits and they won't get tore up like a body glued to a hook. I personally would try the tube body. ......If you do I am sure everybody would appreciate a report on the results. Good luck.

Don't worry about ugly....fish care little for pretty.....nothing pretty about my poppers but the fish seem to like them.. a lot

As long as it colorful, makes a big splash, pushes the tar out of water and hook has enough clearance to hook a big fish is all that matters.