Fly Tying
toothyfisha

Big balsa poppers

I little late to this topic as I dont make it into the beginners section much, but I figured Id add in my $.02

I have used foam, basswood/balsa, and cork.

This fly is a musky popper and was made with cork shaped by hand. It was very easy. You can find big cork somethings at like ace hardware. However, I had the cork on hand so thats why I used it. Basswood is a good choice and I can readily get it. Other then that, kirk's advice to use foam is good. If you go to walmart they have some big foam floats that would work great.

IMAG0569-1.jpg

Just to echo what Ditz said about interchangeable disposable popper heads. You can get sheets of styrofoam-type insulation at Home Depot that's easy to cut with a piece of sharpened copper tubing and shape with sandpaper. Glue a section of aquarium airline tubing into the center hole, leaving a little protruding from the rear to slide over the hook eye. Cheapo acrylic paint will work to add some color. Pike and musky are gonna tear up lightweight materials anyway, so there's no point in getting too fancy. This way, any fly in your box will become a popper whenever the situation calls for it.