Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BassMouth87

UV Micro-Tube Fly (Bluegill)

Before coming over to fly fishing last season I was a captivated and hooked on fishing for panfish. I would use ultra light rods and reels, tiny jigs and tubes, creature baits, grubs etc. Since moving over to fly fishing I have loved the ability to present smaller and more delicate and buggy flies to my feisty little friends. One bait that I miss fishing and that I have had a lot of luck with are small 1-1.5" tube jigs fished on a small tube jig head. I hit the bench and tried to create something similar to the soft plastic tubes I loved so much when spin casting and here is what I came up with:

post-45233-0-24134400-1357176932_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-31182200-1357176925_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-51733100-1357176959_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-10873700-1357176972_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-80431700-1357176997_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-84626100-1357177004_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-39868700-1357177019_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-06350300-1357177039_thumb.jpg

post-45233-0-18873200-1357177053_thumb.jpg

UV Micro-Tube Fly

Thread: 6/0 UNI Misc Colors

Head:Glass,Brass, or other bead

Body:Micro Lace, Larva Lace, D Rib, Krystal Flash

Tail: Marabou, saddle hackle, with or without flash

Coating: Loon UV Resin

The tie is simple. Place hook with bead into vice and run your thread back to the hook point on the shank. Tie in your tail material, with or without flash. Run your thread back to the front of the hook and then lay your body materials along the hook shank and tie down. I have played with larva lace, D-Rib, and krystal flash wrapped back around the hook. Once you have your body tied in tie off the material at the front of the hook behind your bead and whip finish. If you are using contracting colors you can leave a band of thread right behind the bead. Next take your UV resin and place a good sized blob on top of the fly. Spread it out evenly to create the body shape you want, be it a taper, cigar shape, etc. Once you are happy with the shape hit it with your UV light and let it cure.

I am not sure if anyone has created anything similar...I am almost sure they have. I cannot wait for spring when I can get a chance to try these bad boys out...the color and material possibilities are almost endless and if the panfish like these tubes as much as the soft plastic ones I will be having tight lines soon enough!

Thanks for reading.

These are sweet, i like the use of UV resin to make them come alive with the rib underneath, i always find that technique it looks like a fly is still tied underneath in a nice pattern instead, you can even put tinsel under the Lava Lace for more glow. Great flies!

Thanks Jam!

Great ideal with the tinsel. I have a bunch of Mirage, Opel and other tinsels to play with....I have a feeling my boxes will be overflowing by the time spring comes. I hope you had a good holiday brother.

You better give us some pictures of what you catch on those come spring! Great Tie!

You better give us some pictures of what you catch on those come spring! Great Tie!

I will be sure to post some photos. I have a GREAT little pond 15 minutes from my place. It has large and smallmouth bass, perch, crappie, pumpkinseed, bream and large pike. The early spring and late fall are great for the large pike as they come in to the shallows, and as things warm up swarms of crappie and panfish start cruising into the shallows. I caught my personal best crappie last season on a size 18 hares ear from this pond...it has some decent sized fish if you can wade through the small guys for an afternoon.

I have a feeling they will be deadly.

Those are great. I make some similar to those. I use tiny lead jig heads 1/80- 1/100 oz. Panfish love to hit them. a rainbow flash tail and red d rib body is one of best color combos.

Thank you very much. I will be sure to post a few more patterns as I tie them. I am planning on using some mylar and tinsel wrap under the larva lace to make things a little flashier as Jam recommended.

poxy_minnow.jpg_small.jpg - Hans Weilenmann photo: http://www.danica.com/Flytier/misc_fly2/misc_fly2.htm

Your pattern is a nice, small version of Tonio Spezio's "Poxy Minnow". Tony showed me several varations of this little streamer over twenty years ago while we tying at the Southern Council Conclave in Mt. Home, Arkansas.

Tony was the 2011 Recipient of the Federation of Fly Fishers' Buz Buszec Award... the highest award in fly tying: http://www.fedflyfishers.com/Default.aspx?tabid=4365

Tony is also a nationally recognized builder of bamboo fly rods:

http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/html/tony_spezio_biography.html

You should try to make it to the Southern Council's Fly Fishing Fair in Mt. Home next Oct and watch Tony tie... It's worth your time and efforts to go... http://www.southerncouncilfff.org/ If ya' go, I'm sure that he'll tie ya' a "Froggie"!

Or try to make it to one of the other IFFF Fly Fairs that will be held across the country his year. These are the best venues in the world to view large numbers of great tyers and learn patterns... especially patterns for your section of the country, and tying tips/skills: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/

Tight lines,

Kyle Moppert

President

Gulf Coast Council

IFFF

I figured someone had to have tied something similar in the past, thank you for the information.

I wish I could get out to some of the larger fly tying conventions in the U.S but money and time are an issue. I do not currently know of any fly tying events in Ontario...but maybe if I look hard enough I can find something.