Fly Tying
pop-n-bug

Painting eyes on poppers

I've never done it, but I've been looking into it also. Have you thought about stencils made out of some kind of flexible material or tape? Another thought: Kirk Dietrich uses vinyl circles that look terrific.

I have used stencils of different kinds. Sometimes they work good and other times not. I will try finding other types and see what works best. Thanks for your help.

For hard foam or other hard body surfaces, I've used nail heads, particularly finish nails, and wooden dowels of various diameters, dipped in a shallow container of paint. You want just enough paint to coat the end of the tool, with a slight droplet that will transfer to the popper body The consistency of the paint is important too. Too thin & it spreads out unevenly, too thick it won't spread enough. Also be sure the paint is compatible with the foam, otherwise it might dissolve it.

I've done the same with paints on some soft foams, and have also used fabric paints. The fabric paints come in all kinds of cool colors & consistencies, so you can get some nice textured & 3D effects.

I'm sure there are many paints that can be used. I've used one I discovered in my local hardware made by Plastikote. It's called OddsN Ends, and is a crafts type paint. Doesn't have a lot of colors, but enough for painting plenty of variety on poppers, for both eyes & the bodies.

Hope this helps!

Love the idea of the wood dowel. That is something that I have not thought of. I have not been tying poppers very long so I am new to it. Next tying session (most likely tonight) I will try out using a dowel.

Thanks for your input.

Y'all keep the ideas flowing.

Take a bunch of old worn drill rod in the sizes you want then get some 1/2-5/8" dowel wood and drill the hole in center straight. A drill press is nice to use if you have one or know anybody that does. Cut some of the bit ends off and epoxy them in. Works great.

Depending on hard or soft body. Vinyl eyes like Peter mentioned work well on both but have to be covered or glued with CA or something else to ensure they stay attached.

Fabric paint is great for soft foam and is pretty durable without a protective coating but it takes a little while to dry. Acrylic paint is hard to beat for hard or soft bodied bugs and there are a multitude of applicators. In the video below at about the 10 minute mark, I start painting the eyes on the bug and use nail heads ground to different diameters. I used to use dowels like Tide and still do for certain sizes, they are easy to make. Cut a 3/8" dowel in four or five in lengths and sharpen each end to the desired diameter and you have to applicators on each dowel.

Kirk

Go to the 10 minute point to see the eyes being done.

Thanks, Kirk. This looks like a very good way to paint the eyes.

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. Y'all have be a tremendous help to this new member. Glad I came across this site. It has already been one of if not the best site I have found.

Keep on fishin'!!

My array of items for painting eyes range all the way from straight pins pushed into the ends of a wooden dowel, through nails with heads of various sizes, to the dowels themselves. The heads of straight pins make great pupils on eyes painted on streamer heads. The diameter of the dowel can be reduced to that desired by the use of a pencil sharpener.

I use Testors Model paints, and just barely touch the surface of the paint that is left in the cap after the paint has been vigorously shaken. The amount transferred to the tool is adequate for possibly two eyes before another light touch is required. Also use a very light touch when applying it to the bug. Otherwise, you will not get a nice smooth edge to the eye.

HAVE FUN!

Cheers!

I use the blunt end of drill bits to make my popper eyes and other spots on the bugs. Works great, just wipe off the bits when done. I have a bunch of bits in a lot of sizes so they do everything I need. Here's a sample of poppers made this way.

Tom

post-24351-0-49785200-1357440036_thumb.jpg

Perchjerker,

Thanks for your input.. I start looking at everything wondering if it has a use in tying. A little imagination goes a long way.

I use most any acrylic craft paint or some of my daughters nail polish. She has got some pretty wild colors. Caught fish on some pretty wild colors.

Onceahoosier,

Got quiet a few old dull drill bits in the shed that I will test out and see how it goes. Thanks for the idea.

Those are some awesome looking poppers. Hope one day I can tie some that look that good.

using acrylic paint I start with a cotton swab then get progressively smaller dots or dot using a dowel rod. Just stick a quarter inch dowel in a pencil sharpener until you get the diameter you want from the quarter inch all the way down to a very fine point you can get some oval shapes by filing or cutting an angle on the end also.

Thanks for your help, fshrman. I think I have gotten more info today than I have in the past 6 months since I first started tying. Everyone has given me ideas to try. My thanks to all who have responed so far.

Perchjerker,

Thanks for your input.. I start looking at everything wondering if it has a use in tying. A little imagination goes a long way.

I use most any acrylic craft paint or some of my daughters nail polish. She has got some pretty wild colors. Caught fish on some pretty wild colors.

Onceahoosier,

Got quiet a few old dull drill bits in the shed that I will test out and see how it goes. Thanks for the idea.

Those are some awesome looking poppers. Hope one day I can tie some that look that good.

Just to be clear, you don't use the drill end of the bit, use the opposite end, the shank end, or blunt end as I call it. It has a perfectly round flat end that picks up the paint beautifully and with a quick wipe the bit goes back in the box when you're done in perfect condition to use for drilling. I use my primarily box of bits right out of the toolbox. One other suggestion, when you apply the paint to the bug with the bit or dowel, try to avoid having hte bit/dowel actually contacting the bug; you'll usually get a rounder, better looking circle pattern if you do it this way. Good luck.

Tom