Fly Tying
throwinflys

x-caddis from blue ribbon flies

Just ordered some X-Caddis deer hair from blue ribbon flies in montana. i've read a lot of good things about this stuff and i'm excited to give it a try! anybody have experience with this product?

I agree w/ thrownin; some of the best hair out there comes from this shop. I normally prefer to see the piece before purchasing, but this is one of the exceptions I make with many of their natural products. Post a pic so we can get an idea of the pieces they are sending now...plus some of the flies you tie with it!

TC

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

Got some x-caddis flies tyed up. I like the pattern but does the hair look right to you guys? seems dark to me. I know this picture isn't the best. i dont know whats up with macro on my camera

post-46167-0-97065800-1359079139_thumb.jpg

BRF has very good deer hair. The hair is presorted and the pieces are piled in bins.

I fish the Madison River every year and visit BRF during my trip. Even at BRF, the quality of hair varies and it is still best to pick individual pieces yourself.

If you cannot visit, the second best option is to specify what size of flies you are going to tie AND the shade (light, medium or dark) of hair you want. Then they will at least search the bin for the hair and you get better hair. Unless you send them a note or call them to tell them what you want, you get a random piece of hair.

To see what kind of hair you can get for comparaduns, I have posted some photos of hair I bought in the post below.

Got some x-caddis flies tyed up. I like the pattern but does the hair look right to you guys? seems dark to me. I know this picture isn't the best. i dont know whats up with macro on my camera

attachicon.gifDSC01414.JPG

I think both the wing and shuck are tied too long on your fly. The head should be cropped shorter.

The X-caddis as explained to me by Craig Mathews has a shorter wing than the EHC. Take a look at the link to see the difference. So if you are going to buy X-caddis hair and use it for an EHC, you should tell them so.

Here is Craig Mathew's tying his fly. In the video Craig ties the wing as long as the body. He says that you can tie it as long as the shuck but I do not. It is an emerging wing. I can't prove it, but I personally think that a shorter wing indicates an insect in an earlier stage and more vulnerable to the fish. So if you are going to make a mistake in wing length, better to it tie it a bit shorter rather than longer.