Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randy Taylor

Drains 20

Thats very nicely tied Randy, great floss work and proportions.

Might I be so bold as to suggest a more classic approach to the tail? Something like this would give it a more traditional look.

Tail_zpsc19adf2f.jpg

Cheers,

C.

I very much appreciate traditional patterns.but sometimes i will change something

such as a differant feather for a tail but will keep it the same color.I like the looks of the pheasant

crest and will use it alot on my steelhead flies.thank you for the compliments,and suggestions are always welcomed

Randy

Great fly Randy! Very neat indeed, i would fish this in an instant.

Crackaig, i can never get my tippets to sit nicely like that! The stubborn things.

Great fly Randy! Very neat indeed, i would fish this in an instant.

Crackaig, i can never get my tippets to sit nicely like that! The stubborn things.

All I did was tie in the crest feather normally. Then take the tip of a GP tippet feather. Pinch the stem to make a flat. Lie it flat on top of the crest and cant it slightly toward myself, so that the thread would pull it back on top as I took a wrap over to secure.

What I didn't show you was a really silly mistake. I grabbed a hook of my bench and tied the example without looking much at the hook. It was on my bench as a while ago I had put it aside for having a broken eye! Still it serves to illustrate. Probably about time for the biannual tidying of the bench! Then again I saw the worktop last month so its not that bad.

Cheers,

C.

I think the classic flies are so cool looking. You do great work.

Randy what is the fly on your picture by your name?

the fly i use next to my name is a fly i tied a few years ago

it is called the Patriotic Fly

Man you are cranking them out....very nice fly! I am envious of your tying ...LOL

Murray