Fly Tying
lthrnk

Gull Feathers

Came back from a long walk on the beach with the dog (57, some light low cloud, little or no wind, mid falling tide, magnificent sunrise. Had to do that for all in the NE and mid-west) and as usual in the early morning there is the occasional clean and freshly dropped Gull feather. Often wondered if anybody uses them, and or how? cool.gif

You may be able to use it to wing a small wet fly ala Bergman, but I'm not aware of any patterns that specifically call for Seagull feathers.

I picked a few up while fishing one time, and used them for a wing case on some nymphs. It wasn't really great, but the color was nice. The biots are nice and long, so you could make some smaller biot bodied flies with it as well.

Thanks for the input. I thought of the biot end of it also they are pretty stiff and some could be used as tails also.

Just keep in mind that a gull is a protected species and that the feathers are illegal to use. A lady here in Michigan used bluejay feathers (that she collected near her bird feeder) once in a painting and displayed it at an exhibit. Next thing you know, she was issued a ticket.

Never used gull before. There sure are alot out there. I was driving home one night and the car in front of me slammed on the brakes and burst into feathers. The driver of the other car drove off, but I had to look to see what it was. Low and behold it was an owl. It was about a foot tall and wasn't in very good shape. The wings were ok though. I only grabbed a few feathers, cause I felt bad. I have used them for shellbacks and wings. The feather doesn't shed water very well but they are just the right color.

QUOTE (jonnyrotten @ Jan 7 2005, 07:15 PM)
Never used gull before. There sure are alot out there. I was driving home one night and the car in front of me slammed on the brakes and burst into feathers. The driver of the other car drove off, but I had to look to see what it was. Low and behold it was an owl. It was about a foot tall and wasn't in very good shape. The wings were ok though. I only grabbed a few feathers, cause I felt bad. I have used them for shellbacks and wings. The feather doesn't shed water very well but they are just the right color.

I found a dead owl one day in the woods. The only thing wrong with it was one of its fron claws was badly dammaged and his face was stove in. It looked like it misjudged his prey in the snow and found a rock wall. The feathers were amazing and are all since long gone.

I have collected gull feathers from the shore and used them, but find them very soft and that they tear easily. I found a spot where the gulls kind of roost ther are all kinds of breast feathers and I use then sometimes for soft hackles.

I had a similar experience, saw a truck suck in a red tailed hawk that was eating its prey on the side of the road, illegal as hell to have and use but just going to waste out there so into the gunny sack. What a magnificent source of varied feathers.

Just keep in mind that a gull is a protected species

If you have any problem just clam that they are albino crow feathers

OSD.

I live in Canada, but from what I've read the worst the USFW would do is take the feathers from you. I think the fines come when your using the feathers to sell or decorate artworks.

I contacted Wildlife Canada and they said the same thing, as long as your not selling the feathers you'll likely never get caught or get fined. She mentioned people being charged for artwork in the US, but not in Canada.

The law that protects the birds is part of the migratory bird convention.

The feathers from huntable migratory birds can be sold/bartered etc only for the use of tying flies, making pillows and matteresses. They are illegal to use in art.

As long as you aren't using illegal feathers for display flies, you should be ok!

Personally I've found gull, blue jay, northern harrier(found the whole bird!) and a few other unknown feathers, which I've used for wingcases etc, but only for flies I use myself, not for ones I sell.

I've been hoping to find a dead bluejay for a while!