Fly Tying
Ebrant10

Hackle Chickens

I don't know. Somehow I got this vision in my head of a big chicken tied down to the tying bench by his claws and everytime you need a feather you reach over and pluck one from him. He'd be squawking and rocking back and forth and trying his best to peck your finger so you'd have to be fast and try to grab the right feather the first time.laugh.png

When I was raising them, I started out killing & skinning, but eventually that got so time consuming, I went to plucking them. Your description of the event is pretty good!

They didn't like it, and got a bit indignant about it. Roosters especially seem to have their own personalities, so each one reacted differently to the whole process.

I had one bird in particular who thought he was the King of the roost, and would attack me every time I went in the pen, whether I was plucking feathers or feeding them, didn't matter to him. I still have a scar on the back of my leg where he got me with a spur.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="lykos33" data-cid="531326" data-time="1358358693"><p>

<span style='color: #000080'><span style='font-family: comic sans ms', cursive'>Evan put me on your list too for full skins. I'd much rather pay a fellow FTF member than a company that I don't know the first person...</span></span><br />

<span style='color: #000080'><span style='font-family: comic sans ms', cursive'>Murray</span></span></p></blockquote>

Will do Murray, Thanks!

Conranch charges for full skins start at $125, but they are an established premium breeder, just a baseline for you to look at.

Blane

As a relatively new tyer, I sure have learned alot from this post. I really appreciate everyone's input smile.png

Ebrant10, I too would be very interested in your product. If not a full skin, maybe a neck & a saddle. Assuming you are going to sell those smile.png

Anyways, Please put me on your list as well!

Rudy

Oh, 1 other thing a couple of you talked about their bad attitudes & aggressiveness.

Which reminds me of a story my middle son told me, I'm a single Dad w/3 sons.

Anyways, he was in Colorado visiting his mother @ his Grandmother's house & she has always had some chickens (& 1rooster) mostly for eggs. Apparently he, my middle son (about ten @ the time & quite a scrappy kid) was in the backyard & the well the rooster didn't want company. So he let my son know, my son wouldn't back down & has scars to prove it.

When my son returned home I asked him what happen & he told me, I was laughung so hard. I would have paid Big $ to see him go @ it w/that rooster LOL

Roofish, glad you found some help in this thread! I will add you to the contact list whenever birds are ready for harvesting. The story about your son is funny, these roosters can get nasty, especially after they get some age to them.

Riff, how in the world would they consider a peacock a farm animal? I cant think of any food purposes you would use it for, i guess you could eat its eggs but im not gonna go getting a peacock to eat its eggs Haa! Just get one and tell everyone it just showed up and wont leave

Peacocks are real noisy too. Any tall trees, they love to get right to the top and then scream at dusk and dawn. My neighbour couple of acres away has one and how they live so close to that racket. Id have to shoot it. 100x worse than cockerels.