Fly Tying
Chefben4

First Salty Trip of 2013 Report

The guide I was with has used a few different brands. Native being the favorite of them. This was my first time in a kayak fly fishing and it was seriously a good time. I tried casting sitting down and I actually didnt have a problem (just have to hold your arm a bit higher), I just prefer to stand up when I fish.

After I was done fishing I actually went to a kayak store down there and looked at some. As you mention PJ, some have a high seat option. Looks like a pretty cool feature.

I have a Hobie Pro Angler 12' and can't complain a bit about it. It is very stable even in choppy water.

However, it is not as mobile as some of the other sit on top variations as it is quite heavy (120 lbs).

I recommend some form of casting basket if you pick a kayak that has a rudder. Nothing worse than leaving over the back of the kayak trying to untangle a line that drifted into the rudder.

The guide I was with has used a few different brands. Native being the favorite of them. This was my first time in a kayak fly fishing and it was seriously a good time. I tried casting sitting down and I actually didnt have a problem (just have to hold your arm a bit higher), I just prefer to stand up when I fish.

After I was done fishing I actually went to a kayak store down there and looked at some. As you mention PJ, some have a high seat option. Looks like a pretty cool feature.

I have a Hobie Pro Angler 12' and can't complain a bit about it. It is very stable even in choppy water.

However, it is not as mobile as some of the other sit on top variations as it is quite heavy (120 lbs).

I recommend some form of casting basket if you pick a kayak that has a rudder. Nothing worse than leaving over the back of the kayak trying to untangle a line that drifted into the rudder.

Yeah that is pretty heavy! I have not set my eyes on one in particular yet. I have a couple months before I will be buying so plenty of time to look at options. I see a lot of give and takes with the kayaks sort of like the weight of yours likely helps stability. I can promise you that if there is a possibility of getting a line tangled it would for sure happen to me!

i just caught my first redfish on a fly rod this past week. I did it from my pelican 11'6 castaway. it drug me . It was great though. I have recently tied some new flies do you think you could take a look and let me know what you think.

Have you made it to ding darling on sanibel island yet?

There is a place that rents yaks by the hour.

If you get into the mangrove trail before the crowd it can be some good fishing.

You got "dropped" off ... but who took all the pictures?

Tarpon have those big eyes for a reason ... they can see at night. The moon was almost full, if I get your timeline correct. Florida fish like feeding in the full moon, and get pretty full. During the day, they use the sun's warmth to help digest the previous night's meal.

Of course, I am talking about fresh water fish ... I don't know if it's the same with salt water, but I assume so. In all my years in the Sunshine State, I've always done my best fishing through the weeks before and after the new moon. The weeks before and after the full moon don't produce as well.

Yeah ... but I don't have a fancy boat with all the lights and sonar and stuff ... or (car battery) running lights. I can't leave my running lights on all the time. I get out there at night, then worry about the idiots who run full bore in their bass boats in the dark. I've had a couple of near misses, where I just got the flashlight turned on and aimed at the approaching boat in time to avoid being hit or swamped.

So, I don't night fish much. But yes. The night fishing is much better during the wax and wane of the full moon.

A full moon with a good breeze and passing clouds can be very productive, but if it is dead calm and no clouds your more likely to end up with an "Adamm"s Family" tan. (East coast of central Fl.)