Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tucents

Ice Fishing Flies

I am going ice fishing in a few weeks and i was wondering what flies would be good to use on a regular ice fishing pole, the area were fishing in is infested full of pike and pickeral! so im just wondering what flies would you guys would pack in your arsenal? I havent been ice fishing before with regular bait or flies so this is a new one for me!

Typically when people talk about flies under the ice, they are specifically talking about SMALL nymph-style flies with a little more lead to help them reach the depths of wintering fish, and almost exclusively fished with bluegill, crappies, or perch in mind.

While artificials are used for pike early into the ice season, I've never heard of flies used under the ice to specifically target pike, and usually by this time of year most pike fishing is done in my neck of the woods with various sizes of dead suckers or shiners fished on a quick strike rig, often under a tip-up.

I'd love to see someone find flies that work well under the ice for pike! I'm betting with flashabou, a stout hook, some lead, and some creativity, there is plenty of room for a pike ice fishing "fly" (the term gets tricky here because really at that point it's a jig with fly tying materials tied on).