Fly Tying
throwinflys

What is your favorite material for parachute BWO's?

Hareline Para Post Wing. I like how easy it is to tie with, the bright colors make it easy for me to see my fly, and the grayling here don't seem to mind if I use their pink, chartreuse, or orange on the post (again to make it easier for me to see).

It's cheap too.

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/para-post-wing.html

Same here. Love the orange hi-vis Para Post. Easy to tie with, cheap, and highly visible in turbid water.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="throwinflys" data-cid="531134" data-time="1358266876"><p>

where do you find blue dun calf body?</p></blockquote>

www.flyfishersparadiseonline.com

They have all colors, works real well for wulff flies and anything calling for calf tail.

Evan

SO MANY GOOD IDEAS! i really like the idea of the hi vis but i cant get over the color thing... in my mind i spend a bunch of time tying the right colors of the but and then attach a big pink circle to the top. please tell me why my thinking is wrong. i'd rather not worry about this!

i'll have to try some in black! i have some black calf tail i'm not using. what are those duster fibers from? like a fingerprint duster?

Nope! Just a regular household duster.

post-35746-0-87625100-1358277170_thumb.jpg

I've found myself using Poly Floating Yarn as of late, sometimes I'll use a color other than white if I want more of a natural look. (honestly though, I don't how much of a difference color makes with parachutes)

I use Poly Pro Yarn...light grey for bwo....white for trikes. You can tie really small flies with this stuff.

Specific gravity is less than water...so it floats well. It's durable.

0L01F9FC.jpg

SO MANY GOOD IDEAS! i really like the idea of the hi vis but i cant get over the color thing... in my mind i spend a bunch of time tying the right colors of the but and then attach a big pink circle to the top. please tell me why my thinking is wrong. i'd rather not worry about this!

Your not going to like this, but I think you are right. The fish see the post. Wings on dryflys or naturals, and therefore posts on parachutes are the first thing that they see as the fly floats into their window (See Vince Marinaro's "In the Ring of the Rise" for some great photos). As far as not worrying about it, just don't. The popularity of the hi vis posts tells you that it makes little or no difference in the end. I think one of the hardest things about flytying is that we develop theories that really seem to be correct but lead to prejudice that in the end limits us. I'm more guilty than most since I avoid synthetics like the plague and wont use a bead on a trout fly anymore. But I know that this is just a choice of style that leads me to tie flys I like to fish. If you like being able to see that big pink circle and you are confident enough in the pattern to catch fish, then why worry? It is supposed to be fun!

Calf body hair is nice looking but it will sink quicker than anything else as its straight,dense and will wick water up into it self. Bad choice for post material unless the fly is just for show. As an experiment we tied up flies with flouresent pink, orange and yellow and the usual white. The yellow was the only color that the fish definitely shied away from, of the four colors. Never got around to trying non-flouresent yellow for posts. Yes I did and they worked fine on parachute hopper patterns.

Calf boby from eflytyer.com. Mike always comes across first class material and usually sells large pieces of it. I dye it to the color I want when my wife is away.

I am old school and have not embraced synthetics although I think they probably are quicker.

I also just tie as a hobby so I don't knock out a lot of flys and have just as much fun dying furs, and mixing concoctions of my own dry fly treatment or wax, or even blending dubbing ( natural of course). I just got turned on to silk dubbing. I may never go back to anything else. Plus when you go small like BWO's you can't beat it. Pricy though.

Calf boby from eflytyer.com. Mike always comes across first class material and usually sells large pieces of it. I dye it to the color I want when my wife is away.

I am old school and have not embraced synthetics although I think they probably are quicker.

I also just tie as a hobby so I don't knock out a lot of flys and have just as much fun dying furs, and mixing concoctions of my own dry fly treatment or wax, or even blending dubbing ( natural of course). I just got turned on to silk dubbing. I may never go back to anything else. Plus when you go small like BWO's you can't beat it. Pricy though.

Calf boby from eflytyer.com. Mike always comes across first class material and usually sells large pieces of it. I dye it to the color I want when my wife is away. I am old school and have not embraced synthetics although I think they probably are quicker. I also just tie as a hobby so I don't knock out a lot of flys and have just as much fun dying furs, and mixing concoctions of my own dry fly treatment or wax, or even blending dubbing ( natural of course). I just got turned on to silk dubbing. I may never go back to anything else. Plus when you go small like BWO's you can't beat it. Pricy though.

SILK DUBBING! i must read about this. sounds like money entering a cash register! HAHAHAAHA. hello, i'm a flytyer... will you please take all of my money?