Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FishDragon

J Vise

I am thinking about purchasing a J Vise but I would like to hear from owners what they think about it. Anything I should order or not bother with?

I tie mostly trout flies and a few salmon flies and to me it seems like an investment that will last for a number of years.

Or is it better to put my money towards another vise? To me it looks great and it seems like it should do everything I need. Originally I was looking at(for) a L.A.W. vise but they aren't made anymore so I started looking at Renzetti's and a few other manufacturers but the J Vise seems to be perfect, and looks to have lots of clearance behind the jaws(very important for me) for tying on tail materials and for my left hand that seems to big when tying on some materials.

As far as the J Vice goes the only thing that seems expensive is the wooden bases and I am not sure I would order one of those but everything else seems great.

Hi there,

You have put your eyes on a very good vise, I have one and I absolutely love it.

If you look into Jay's updated web page, you can see that there's a new version available for a decent price. Things I'd take if I ordered today with given and gotten knowledge:

- Any Jvice with goose neck

- Pro jaws

- Choose base if you have the money, it's excellent. If you short of money, take C-Clamp or Desk Stand, you'll be happy anyways

- Marriage saver, aka trim basket is a must :D

- Bobbin rest if U need one

Other things are nice but not necessary, and you can always get those things later if you need.

I was thinking of just using the pedestal I have now instead of getting one of his. Nothing against them just would rather put the money else wheres as I have a good tying station I made myself. The vice is a work of art though!!

I may get the desk stand and make my own base though.

I was thinking of just using the pedestal I have now instead of getting one of his. Nothing against them just would rather put the money else wheres as I have a good tying station I made myself. The vice is a work of art though!!

I may get the desk stand and make my own base though.

Jay's standard vise stem is 1cm thick, so it does not fit in many Euro or US bases directly. But, Jay has made some thinner stems for people when asked.

I've been thinking about buying one as a new travel vise but want to tie on it again before I do so. I really like it when I tried a few years ago, but I didn't use the rotary feature enough. I'm concerned that the center of mass is unbalanced with the gooseneck and vise jaws lying fully below the axis of rotation. I could be wrong about this, but i want to make sure. If Wasatch shows up at the show in Somerset next week I just might pull the trigger. I'm not sold on the base either. It is pretty expensive for a block of drilled wood. I'm sure it is functional, but I like to lay things out the way I want, and I'm not sure I would use or like the features of the standard base they sell.

Mike.

is is not a great tool for inline rotary tying- like the nor vise or regal revolution

however it is nice for indexing ability of the roatary is nice... there is nice tension adjustment

there is no easy adjustment on the gooseneck- allen key only... unlike dynaking where it is a thumb screw

so it is not easy to change hook style and keep the shank inline

I have a true rotary vise already but I am not happy with it. I do like it alot more than the non rotary vise I started with.

Mainly I use the rotary function of a vise is to look at the fly while tying it and having the hook centered isn't a big deal for that. Thanks for that info KHoss.

Hans Weilenman did a review of it and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find it to read. I think he had input into its design.

I have a true rotary vise already but I am not happy with it. I do like it alot more than the non rotary vise I started with.

Mainly I use the rotary function of a vise is to look at the fly while tying it and having the hook centered isn't a big deal for that. Thanks for that info KHoss.

Hans Weilenman did a review of it and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find it to read. I think he had input into its design.

This is what I think you're looking for

http://archives.flyfisherman.com/content/best-vises/1

I've owned Renzetti, Apex, Peak, Dyna-king, Thompson, HMH, and more. The JVice is the best vice out there, imo. It's durable, easy to use, comfortable, great jaw grip, and beautiful to look at.

Two things I didn't care for when I bought my JVice...

I don't care for the wooden base. So, I use my JVice with the heavy white Peak base.

JVice doesn't come with the standard 3/8" steel stem to fit USA vice bases or C-clamps. So, I bought 3/8" steel stems/rods off of Amazon.com and had them shipped to Jay. Jay adjusted the price of the vise accordingly, Jay was easy to work with and very helpful. My JVice fits any N.American base and/or C-clamp.

I went with the brass vice with bobbin holder, gallows attachment, and dubbing spinner.

Great Vise...JVICE!

LOVE my Jvice. I went with a desk stand and mounted that on my own base. Really just to cut down postage cost and avoid the custom man.

You really do need a bobbin cradle if you are going for a full rotary vice. The Pro Jaws are great. I have tied 3/0 down to 22 so far easily with rock solid hold.

I like to hold hooks in a small dish ready for my run of flies and Jay mounted one of his bead dishes in a wooden stand for me. Only wish I had had a triple dish or at least double but the vice is great and the colour options are a great touch that makes them less mass production than they already are.

If you go the route of Jay shaving down the stem, any aftersales extras will fit from several suppliers, but clamping Jays extras on might prove problematic. I decided to stick with his standard stem cause if I add to my vice I'll just stick with Jays products. This vice is a hand me down for my kids and I can't see me wearing it out.

Great info Piker20

I am just talking to Jay on face book. I am thinking of just getting the desk mount and making my own stand and leaving the stem as is. He said he can grind it down to 3/8 but he also has an adapter. He will be sending me pics so I can decide.

i saw and tried one at the fly fishin show last friday in marlboro mass and it just didnt do it for me. that knurled screw at the top got in the way. removing it is just another thing to get lost. + the shipping alone is also too expensive

i bought the all black renzetti traveler instead.

Flytire did that vice have the pro jaw or just the standard? I brought the pro jaw for mine and find that my L hand can sit happily in the goose neck and have not noticed the knurl getting in my way. I don't have tiny lady hands either, just before you ask LOL.