Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gravytrain

River Road Creations

i've been looking at the Tomsu's Hopper kit. i have an old guy here at home that loves to fish hoppers.

i know that there are many patterns for hoppers that don't need a cutter but any time i can buy a new gadget....

so, any body use them?

craig

Yes, I use them and they are awesome!!! As you can tell by my name I love fishing hoppers too! The cutters make it soooo much easier to cut bodies and wings out of foam and other materials quickly with the proper silohette (sorry about the spelling). I'm beginning to become somewhat of a hopper/big attractor purist, they are all I have fished the last 2 years. You can't go wrong with them. I noticed the jstockard catalog has another brand of the same thing for cheaper, give it a look.

i have the stp frog cutters from river road creations and used it for about 6 flies.

all the cutters do now is sit in a rubbermaid shoe box out of site not being used. for tying a few flies i'm not sure they are worth the money.

will that style of hopper out fish other foam hoppers? i doubt it.

I just got my RRC set in the mail and cranked out a dozen hoppers in no time. It is super fun and the cutters are very well made. Also, I have to shout out to the people at River Road Creations as they went out of their way to help me get what I needed and fast. Very friendly- I will be doing business with them again.

fullsizeoutput_4ec.jpeg

I have to agree with flytier.  I bought one for crease flies one time-tied a few and haven't used it since.  Would have been cheaper to just buy the flies.

Maybe we should line up a swap.  Ten people buy a different cutter.  Then each person cuts out a hundred patterns and sends ten each to each of the others.

The swap seems like a good idea. I don't disagree with flytire's or your points, I just think the cutters are fun to work with. I don't tie flies to save money, I tie for my own enjoyment and because I feel a need to only use flies I tie. I often tie a great many flies just to learn a pattern and in time, after the volume that I tie, I think these cutters will not seem so expensive. They were pricey, but I gotta say, they are well made. Shortly after I opened the package, I had cut enough pieces for a several dozen flies in many colors. 

I also don't think that they would do a better job catching fish than any other foam hopper, I just thought they were cool.

I also had to report on the superb customer service that I got from RRC. Seriously nice people- they really went out of the way to help me with a mistake I had made.