Fly Tying
Fish For Life

First attempt at rabbit strips

What you guys think of my first rabbit strip flys. I made them to ressemble yellow perch. i added all the collors and then a yellow eye just like a perch. I made these for pike but they are a bit small so they will be my modle for larger tys.

Thanks

post-44005-0-26775700-1358958024_thumb.jpg

post-44005-0-56503700-1358958055_thumb.jpg

They look good, I would tie the tail down on the first one same as second pic as you don't want it twisting or causing more drag when casting.

Agree, they look good, like the colors, and the tail should be tied down. In addition to Piker's advise, securing that tail will help keep it from fouling around the hook.

Another way to secure the strip, would be to use wire of any color you choose as a rib, from the tail end winding forward & securing at the head. The wire would add a little weight too & aid in keeping the body from being torn apart as easily. Just something to consider.

Great job using rabbit strips; they are a great material and so useful for many types of patterns.

The only comment I have is my thoughts regarding the eye; is it weighted? If so, the fly may ride upside down, which is why many patterns have the rabbit strip secured on the bottom of the hook shank. I think you are off to a great start with this material, and keep us updated as you experiment with other variations...

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

The only comment I have is my thoughts regarding the eye; is it weighted? If so, the fly may ride upside down, which is why many patterns have the rabbit strip secured on the bottom of the hook shank. I think you are off to a great start with this material, and keep us updated as you experiment with other variations...

They are weighted but i secured them to the bottome of the hook. Would this not make it sink the way it is shown?

It should, depending on the depth of the water. Adding any weight to the front of the hook will give the fly a jigging action (if that's what you're going for); I was unsure by the pics if you had secured it to the bottom or top. A common technique to use when tying rabbit strips is to lock them in on the underside of the shank; here's a video that shows this process. The video is 30 mins. long, but you can click throughout the spots and determine the process relatively quick.

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout