Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
throwinflys

Got a free turkey fan today. What should I tye with it?

My boss gave me a "junk" turkey fan today at work. I took it home and steamed it over a teapot for 45 minutes and I think it came out pretty nice. Now I just need to find some cool stuff to tye up with it! What do you guys use turkey tail feathers for?

before

post-46167-0-74523300-1359078841_thumb.jpg

after

post-46167-0-90407900-1359078872_thumb.jpg

Well, i would guess the fibers could be used like duck fibers are for wings and such....so maybe something like a Highland Dun pattern, or A pattern that calls for them is a Muddler Minnow. I've personally never tried anything with turkey feathers....but good luck!

I did a google search and there were a lot of pictures of muddlers. looks like a cool pattern! He asked if i could use turkey feathers and being 23 and having a wife and baby... i couldn't refuse a freebee! haha

you can knot them and use them as hopper legs just take 4 or 5 fibers and tie an overhand knot in them they work great also alot of old winged wets use turkey also turkey tail makes great wing cases on nymph patterns I tie a pheasant tail nymph using turkey instead of pheasant it works great be creative that is the fun part of this addiction

i ;ike to substitute turkey fibers instead of pheasant tail, the white tips look good when the fly transitions to the brown.

Want to thank you just for the post. I have 2 complete turkey tail mounts that are a bit tattered and I have been debating how to clean them up! Off to the kitchen! (might I ask what you did other than steam? just massaged them into place?)

I would definately do some muddlers!

-Clint

I use them to tie nymphs also. I like the mottled look that the turkey fibers have and use them as much as I use pheasant tail. Riff, that is what the body is made of on the little caddis fly that was in the tiny fly swap.

Take Care, Tony

There are many flies that you could tie. At one end of the scale there is the Jock Scott, which calls for white tipped turkey in the wing. Though, from what you said, you will not be able to buy the "other" materials (all 28 or so of them), You can use it for bodies on drys, nymphs and wets. It can be a little brittle so its an idea to rib bodies with some fine wire, or tying thread for drys.

You can tie tent wings from them for caddisflies. Take matching slips from opposite sides of the same feather. Place one on top of the other so the tips form a small "V". Tie the wing flat over the body with a very open loop so it sits around the top half of the hook shank. Almost the antithesis of the pinch and loop. This was the usual method for imitating caddis wings before deer hair became popular.

That's a great freebie, should keep you going for several weeks!

Cheers,

C.

Want to thank you just for the post. I have 2 complete turkey tail mounts that are a bit tattered and I have been debating how to clean them up! Off to the kitchen! (might I ask what you did other than steam? just massaged them into place?)

I would definately do some muddlers!

-Clint

yep just steamed and massaged the feathers back into place. it took a while, but i'd have tried longer had the wife not come home early from class!