Fly Tying
hairwing

Fly Line question ?

The line and the leader/tippet are three quite different entities. The line has the weight that is being cast, with the leader, tippet, and the fly simply 'going along for the ride'. The tapered leader transmits the energy in the fly line to the fly by means of the tippet. The tippet, among other things, permits the 'soft' delicate landing so desired when fishing dry flies. Therefore, each serves a different purpose.

As for the line itself, it does NOT have to be tapered; a level line will work. However, a double taper line, as well as a weight forward line, each have their place and serve a specific purpose.

Perchjerker is correct.

Level lines are fine if you are casting smaller flies shorter distances. Weight forward lines are needed when casting for distance or larger flies. Tapered lines do both ... they are weight forward for distance and the taper allows for gentler presentation, sort of. As far as the landing of the fly on the water, the fly line has little to do with that ... that's where the leader and tippet come into play.

Can you even find a level fly line anymore other? I know there used to be some really cheap and poor quality level lines but haven't seen any in quite a while.

Nothing's "necessary," it's a question of what'll do a better job. You can kill houseflies with a sledge hammer, but there are other tools that are more efficient. There's a reason why anglers use a wide assortment of lines for different situations.

Can you even find a level fly line anymore other? I know there used to be some really cheap and poor quality level lines but haven't seen any in quite a while.

I dunno if you can still find level line or not, but God I hate that stuff lol. About 24 years ago when I first started fly fishing my first set up had a level line on it, couldn't cast that line to save my life back then.

My first outfit consisted of a solid glass fly rod and a level line I found in the dump. It worked OK for swinging streamers on the small river I fished, but I was mighty happy when I got a real outfit with a DT line for Christmas. I'd like to think the experience made me a better fisherman, but the truth is that it's a wonder I didn't give it up altogether. The only level lines I've seen in recent years are running lines for shooting heads, but I'll bet there are a few kicking around on Ebay. Not that I'm gonna be looking.

So first let me explain where I might have come up with a question like this. I probably have a narrow view of all the fly line designs because I fish mainly for trout in moving water so what I see the fly line doing and what others see the fly line doing could be based on two different perspectives. In my younger days I could wear out a line in about 6 months and it was generally the first 15 feet of the line that wore. These were the best lines available ie. Cortland 444 or Scientific Anglers Supreme. It pained me to discard the perfectly good remaining line as the fly line was and is an expensive part of the tackle. I felt somehow if I was to cut off the taper of the line I would handicap my fishing ability. I couldn't get outside that mindset and would fork over the cash. I have come to a different conclusion today.

While we need the speed and the weight of the line to fight the wind and deliver the bigger flies we need to put on the brakes to all that speed or the end of the cast goes out of control. I see the taper of the line and leader doing this. Without some kind of resistance on the end, a level line will kick, and so will a tapered line. Try this for yourself, cast your tapered fly line without a leader and see the result. The effect is also magnified with heavier line weights. But too my question...considering the front taper on modern lines is only 4 to 10 feet at the most why can't this taper be done in the leader constructed of mono? What's so special about having it shaved off the coating on the end? They are shaving off the micro-bubbles, what I consider to be the most important attribute of the modern line. Those bubbles float the line.

Let me add that I use tapered fly lines because I have accumulated many of them over the years and I'd bet now that I couldn't wear one out before I die. I'm passing on my thoughts for a younger generation to consider as an alternative and let them know that their fishing ability will not be handicapped by doing so and they can save a few bucks and waste not.

Level line availability....you all have one when you snip the taper off let's say a DT-6-F and believe it or not if you were to flip a WF-8-F around you have a L-6-F line. I am not advocating anyone go out and start replacing their tapered lines with level lines. Sadly in my mind all of the tapered engineering is part hyperbole and marketing, but that's my problem and I can deal with it.

Level line availability....you all have one when you snip the taper off let's say a DT-6-F and believe it or not if you were to flip a WF-8-F around you have a L-6-F line. I am not advocating anyone go out and start replacing their tapered lines with level lines. Sadly in my mind all of the tapered engineering is part hyperbole and marketing, but that's my problem and I can deal with it.

True but what I was talking about far as availability was an actual full length 80' Level line, not just cutting the taper off and using the shorter level running section. Use to back in the day shops sold an actual level line with no taper that was a uniform diameter the entire 80ft length. That's the line that most of us that started back in the 80's had to deal with learning to cast on and learned to hate it wink.png

True but what I was talking about far as availability was an actual full length 80' Level line, not just cutting the taper off and using the shorter level running section. Use to back in the day shops sold an actual level line with no taper that was a uniform diameter the entire 80ft length. That's the line that most of us that started back in the 80's had to deal with learning to cast on and learned to hate it wink.png

Well if you must have the real McCoy.....http://buy.scientificanglers.com/air-celtm-general-purpose-floating.html...it's the one priced for $18.95. Nuff said.
.....and when you started out are you sure it was the line or was it a case of the "Indian and The Bow and Arrow". Some day when you have some giggle time, why don't you rig one up for reevaluation. Might give you something to think about. Did me.:-). I started out once too.

Nothing's "necessary," it's a question of what'll do a better job. You can kill houseflies with a sledge hammer, but there are other tools that are more efficient. There's a reason why anglers use a wide assortment of lines for different situations.

Son of a Bi .... You mean that all the holes I've been putting in the walls, floor and door chasing flies with a sledge hammer were unnecessary???? There's a better tool for killing flies????

You people gotta share this kind of information more often !!!

Son of a Bi .... You mean that all the holes I've been putting in the walls, floor and door chasing flies with a sledge hammer were unnecessary???? There's a better tool for killing flies????

You people gotta share this kind of information more often !!!

OF COURSE there's a better tool - for example, I presently use a high pressure fire hose. I used to use a flamethrower, but my wife got tired of moving every couple of weeks.

Now that you fully explained both yourself and your initial question, the answer to your fundamental questions is YES; they could make them that way; i.e., with the mono leader built in. However, given the fundamental way they are made, do you have any idea what doing it this way would do to market prices? They would be completely out of sight! Furthermore, this would deprive the buyer of making their own decision relative to leader type; mono, fluoro, or even furled, to say nothing of the taper dimensions.