Fly Tying
famill00

Smallmouth/Largemouth Monthly Swap - NOVEMBER

For November, those of us in the SMB/LMB tying club are going to be tying Tube Flies. This is the month that will probably be one of the more challenging for most. For this topic, Eastern Fly will be our resident expert as he is the one who requested we tie up tube flies for the swap. I know he has tied up tube flies in the past and will be happy to answer our questions posted here. The concept of tube flies makes sense. The fly separates from the hook, allowing the fly to not be damaged as quickly. Also, you can use a shorter shank hook, thus, in theory, making it harder for the fish to throw the hook. If you are in need of a tube fly attachment for your vice, they can be found really cheap on fleabay. I bought one of these about 3 years ago and have yet to use it. Plan ahead for this month, as you may need to order some supplies. Please include the hook that is intended to be used with your fly.

1) Me - Swapmaster - Tube Popper
3) Eugward - RECEIVED

4) Eastern fly - RECEIVED
5) Joman - RECEIVED
6) Rich mc - RECEIVED

-Forrest

Bucktai Tube

Tube: 2.5" plastic tube

Body: green/blue/black Crystal flash

thread: gold polyester

collar: red/chartreuse/blue bucktail

head: thread

hook: octopus 8 or 6

are we to be sending the surgical tubing connection as well as the hooks?

Yes my flies are coming. Had delays, we where in the process of closing on a house. that got done along with both months of my flies. I hope you like mine. Its my sculpin pattern.

Kevin

Kevin, your flies came in today. I will try to get these to you guys on Saturday, if not earlier. I have a busy week with work.

-Forrest

Eugward your flies are in the mail on their way back to you. Everyone else had me hold theirs thru December. I was not happy with my tube fly, so I am redoing them and will send an extra fly for December's set. I had not tied them before and they just didnt look right.

Eugward your flies are in the mail on their way back to you. Everyone else had me hold theirs thru December. I was not happy with my tube fly, so I am redoing them and will send an extra fly for December's set. I had not tied them before and they just didnt look right.

What was wrong with your tube? I have done many and they work well.

Kevin

Kevin, I don't think they were secure enough. I bought tubes too large for the mandrel I have. I will regroup over Christmas break and send them with December's flies. I just felt like they wouldn't hold up....

Kevin, I don't think they were secure enough. I bought tubes too large for the mandrel I have. I will regroup over Christmas break and send them with December's flies. I just felt like they wouldn't hold up....

I use a lot of Q-tip tubes. But do plan to get others.

Kevin

Hey guys, still can't find the december thread, just wondering a, do you have an envelope and postage for my flies? Its been so long since I sent them down, and b, how's everyone dooin? Hope you all had a great christmas holidays and a safe and happy new year