Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eandlfishing

What to do with Sparrow Feathers

I have never tyed with sparrow but I should think it would be similar to starling. (Maybe a bit smaller.) Neck and coverts for soft-hackle collars. Wing primaries and secondaries would probably make good wing slips.

This is another of those posts that will generate debate about legality. Aren't sparrows considered "song birds" ... and isn't it illegal to possess songbird feathers?

Just thought I'd get the ball rolling on the argument.

This is another of those posts that will generate debate about legality. Aren't sparrows considered "song birds" ... and isn't it illegal to possess songbird feathers?

Just thought I'd get the ball rolling on the argument.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act is what you are referring to. From the USGS web site:

The Act covers the great majority (83%) of all native birds found in the U.S. Many of the species not covered by the Act are covered by the Endangered Species Act , other Federal laws, or state laws, many of which are as stringent as the Migratory Bird Treaty Act . In the lower 48 states, all species except the house sparrow, feral pigeon, common starling, and non-migratory game birds like pheasants, gray partridge, and sage grouse, are protected.

BTA is absolutely correct! House sparrows, feral pigeons and starlings, with a few other 'oddball' species are NOT protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA). Therefore, you can "take" and "Use" as you see fit. The only possible exc3ption would be if you live in a community that prohibits the discharge of a gun of any type, including BB guns, inside the corporate limits. If there is such a prohibition, simply trap them!

Just be sure that you have the correct species of sparrow, as there are a number of species of sparrows that are very similar in appreance...

I use to watch this guy in Detroit go out on Belle Isle with a throw net and catch feral pigeons by the dozens he would first start out tossing bird seed and bread on the ground around him "chumming" for the birds then after there was quite a few on the ground he would throw his net over them then toss them in the wooden box he would bring I know what he did with them when he got home but its not needed to talk about

English Sparrows are actually European finches. There should be no trouble distinguishing the mature male- with his black throat, white cheeks and brown eye stripe. The females, however, resemble many of the American sparrows.

The ubiquitous English sparrow is also known as the "house sparrow'. They are NOT protected. However, as noted, there are numerous species; and many do very closely resemble the House, or English sparrow. Most of them, fortunately, do not typically inhabit residential areas.

there are numerous species; and many do very closely resemble the House, or English sparrow. Most of them, fortunately, do not typically inhabit residential areas.

I am not sure if that assessment is correct. I had feeders out at our last house (Indianapolis) and identified 5 species of sparrow (including the house sparrow.) I think if you look closely, many that you think are English sparrows are actually American sparrows (or even female finches or blackbirds.)