Fly Tying
Sur3-Shot

Micheals supply list ?

So i came into a little bit of money from chors and stuff. So i am having my grandmother take me to the Micheals art store. Can you guys help me make a list of wat to look for? I really dont now much im learning with the sstuff i have. I wanna learn more so, wat matterials can i get there?

foam sheets

yarn

beads

embroidery thread

ribbon

craft fur

markers

balsa/bass wood for poppers

assorted feathers

peacock feathers

etc etc etc

They do have some good items but keep an eye on the prices for what you are getting. For example at least at the Micheals here in Canada the prices they want for any decorative feathers are way over the price of what you would pay at the fly shop. Beads are another over priced item that can usually be found cheaper elsewhere. That being said if you are already there and need something it may be cheaper at times just to bite the bullet.

Stop by a Dollar Tree before you go to Michael's. I was there yesterday and the local one has 12 packs of craft foam sheets. Everything in that store is a dollar + tax ... you can't find those prices anywhere else.

they also had several options for feathers, including some "stuffed" birds that were really tacky looking for decoration, but great for different kinds of feathers.

There's no Michael's near my hotel, but I did go to a Jo-Ann's. You just gotta look around, there's so many different types of materials. Bright threads come to mind, less expensive than the true fly tying threads, but basically the same material.

Stop by a Dollar Tree before you go to Michael's. I was there yesterday and the local one has 12 packs of craft foam sheets. Everything in that store is a dollar + tax ... you can't find those prices anywhere else.

they also had several options for feathers, including some "stuffed" birds that were really tacky looking for decoration, but great for different kinds of feathers.

There's no Michael's near my hotel, but I did go to a Jo-Ann's. You just gotta look around, there's so many different types of materials. Bright threads come to mind, less expensive than the true fly tying threads, but basically the same material.

What type of thread matterial would be the best for dry flies

What type of thread matterial would be the best for dry flies

Whatever they have. I use UTC 70 or Uni 8/0 for most of my tying and they are fairly fine threads. Aything that is not too rope like should work.

Most sewing threads are polyester, so they will work for tying. Pay attention to detail when you are choosing threads. If you desire smooth heads or bodies of thread, then you don't want a thread that looks "fuzzy" on the spool. Find or ask for threads that have smooth finishes. I've always had pleasant experiences with the ladies working these stores, they are usually very interested in what you're doing. They talk sewing and "normal" crafts all day, fly tying is something new for them.

What you won't find are the sizing info like regular tying threads list. You just have to choose what looks good. If you are going to tie 16 and smaller flies, you'll probably want to buy the fly tying threads. I don't tie anything that small, so I don't need that fine of a thread.

Some of the thread/cord used for embroidery is brightly colored and makes bright bodies with small profiles.

It's an imagination thing. If you think it'll make a good looking fly, then it probably will. Based on some of your flies, I don't think you've got any problems there.

Dollar Stores have packages with 3-4 peacock feather in the pack. I purchased 3 packs just for "throw away flies", ones I wouldn't care too much if I lost to a tree monster or a squirrel fish. Lo and behold the peacock was better quality than the herl I had purchased specifically for tying flies. Michael's always has marked down beads of some kind, pick a color you like and go for it. There is also clear and other colors of "beading cord", the name is self explanatory. The stuff is stretchy as a rubber band and makes GREAT bodies!

Murray

One thing i sometimes will buy is pipecleaners, I know it's sounds lame but I've used them on bass buggers instead of weighting then chenille. Others are: peacock herls, balsa, yarn for dubbing, and there is this type of braclet material that is kind of plasticy comes in big packs- good for ribbing.

Another thing to look for is bead stores. I am lucky to have a couple in my area and i can get hundreds (500+) of glass beads for less than 2$. Compare that to killer caddis beads which you only get a fraction of that for more $$$. The beads are the same. Just need to know what colors you are looking for. I got a lifetime supply of beads for very short money. The craft store beads were overpriced and made in china. Not as consistant as the japanese beads from the bead stores.

Also the bead store had colored copper wire for a lower price than ultra wire.

Great for wire bodied buzzers.

First, register with the www.michaels.com web site to get the 40% off coupon they e-mail you about once a month. There will also be one in the Sunday paper.

1.5mm foam is available from Dollar Tree at $1/12 sheets.

2mm and 3mm is available from Michaels for about $1 per sheet. But, lots more color choices, including sparkle foam (great for beetles).

Bead chain for eyes comes in black, silver and gold for about $1.98/16 inches.

Yarn for wolly worms and it is a good idea to get a multicolored yarn.

Plastic beads in multi color packs. Don't expect brass.

Sometimes there is craft fur at good prices.

Sparkle glue if you have a pattern that calls for it.

DO NOT get feathers from there. They are equivalent to Chinese feathers and twice as expensive.

DO NOT get regular glue from there, it's less expensive at Walmart.

+1 on registering to get the coupon. Another hint is that you'll often get a 40% off coupon on your receipt, so plan on two trips and get the more expensive stuff on the second trip smile.png

Beads are usually way cheaper than fly shops. Stretch magic is another cheap & versatile material you can pick up and use on a lot of different patterns.

So the yarn at michaels. Is it called sparkle yarn? Or if not is there an equivalent? What specific yarns do they have that are equivalent for fly tiers?

As a beginner you might not be ready for these yet but:

Beadalon wire for articulated flies,

Artbin boxes for home made fly boxes for big flies.

Thin wire for dubbing brushes