Fly Tying
TheCream

Need an olive marker...HELP!!!

I have gone borderline nuts trying to find an olive colored permanant marker or marking pen in the last year. What I am doing with markers is using them to color/shade/bar wrapped streamer brush material like Senyo Laser Dub. Laser Dub takes Sharpie/Bic MarkIt extremely well. What I want is to be able to use a white material, wrapped, then shade the top half olive with a marker and add black barring. I have tried several shades of green, in Sharpie and Bic, to no success. Sharpie, I have found, just doesn't make an olive colored marker...or so it seems from their site. Bic makes a MarkIt that is a "Meadow Grass" or something like that which looks good, but I have not found it available in single. Only in like a 24 pack with 23 colors I don't need. I picked up a paint marker Saturday in "Hunter Green" which I tried because the cap color looked fairly olive/dull green, but the result below was nothing close to that:

DSC_0003-2_zps0aa4113b.jpg

If anything, it actually looks more teal than olive! I have even tried double-shading some Sharpie colors, like brown and green, only to have that look almost black. Does anyone have an answer? Is there an olive marker that is available anywhere? Is there a brand/model I am not looking for? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Try a prismacolor. They can be found in the art dept at Hobby Lobby or the like.

Prismacolor has olive. I have one that is "dark olive" which is a nice shade. They also make light olive

Prismacolor has olive. I have one that is "dark olive" which is a nice shade. They also make light olive

I just found the dark and light olives in Prismacolor on Amazon. Looks like I will be placing an order. Thanks for the info, folks!

I just found the dark and light olives in Prismacolor on Amazon. Looks like I will be placing an order. Thanks for the info, folks!

Prismacolor rocks! A little on the expensive side, but awesome none the less.

I ordered a Light Olive and Dark Olive in the Prismacolors. I'm done playing the guessing game and trying to get "close enough." I'd like to have things easy for a change. :)

Looks like I caught ya to late Cream, next time get the half off coupons in the paper for Micheals, AC Moore, or Hobby Lobby. Sure you have one of them, all of these stores carry, prismacolors. I got my photo boxes today from there and turn them into fly boxes

I have olive in sharpie, got in one of their kits with 16 colors. its a real nice light/medium olive perfect for my minnow backs.

One of the office supply box stores carries sharpies in many individual colors. Can't remember if it was Office Max or Office Depot. They also had them with the fine and extra fine tip.

One of the office supply box stores carries sharpies in many individual colors. Can't remember if it was Office Max or Office Depot. They also had them with the fine and extra fine tip.

My local Staples used to do that with the Bic MarkIt brand of permanant markers. I went there looking last Friday after work and they stopped carrying them. They come in some awesome colors for fly tying/fly modifying. I can still buy them online but not locally anymore.