Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

wrapping direction

What way are you sosposed to wrap. Does it make a difference. If no difference what way do you wrap. clockwise or counter clockwise looking at the eye of the hook.

I wrap counter clockwise

Thanks

Looking at the eye I wrap clockwise. The thread goes away from make over the top. Your material like marabou has to go the same way so it stays tight.

wrap whatever way is comfortable to you. I have seen right handed tyers wrap towards themselves. there really is no commandment that dictates which way to wrap.

if Oliver Edwards can do it so can you.

It's more important to wrap all your material in the same direction (with the possible exception of a reinforcing rib).

Thread will twist with each wrap and will either flatten or tighten depending on the direction you wrap and the hand you wrap with. It may be different for different thread manufacturers, but for the most part CW RH winding will tighten the thread. You constantly need to counteract this effect as you tie, so either direction will be fine, However there is a subtle difference that may make one direction better or worse for you.

people tie using their right or left hand because that is their dominant hand not by which way the thread twists

however there are tyers who tie left handed because they were sitting opposite of a right handed tyer (i think that is the case with charlie craven)

it only a second or two to twist or untwist your tying thread. fly tying is not a speed contest.

so whatever the reason, just tie in a way/direction that is most comfortable to you.

flytire has it "dead on" in both posts. And it has nothing to do with tying Right or Left handed. One can apply as much tension to the thread by pulling it towards the body as they can pulling it away.

I was taught (by Skip Morris's book Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple) that the thread should always move away from the tyer as it goes over the top of the hook shank, and toward the tyer as it comes underneath the shank. That would be clockwise, I suppose, if viewed from in front of the hook eye. This always just made sense to me, as your materials, with very few exceptions, are nearly always mounted either on the side of the hook nearest the tyer or on top of the shank. Executing either of those moves would be a lot harder if the thread were approaching from the far side of the hook, it seems to me. In the end, like a lot of things in fly tying, it's personal preference and/or whatever works best for you. I will say that I've never seen a book or any other instructional material that recommended wrapping the other way (counterclockwise).

from my tying experience, i rarely attach any material on my side of the hook. i prefer to tie in materials on top of the hook shank and holding the material until a few good tight wraps secure it.

i dont see any problems attaching a hackle stem to my side of the hook with either method of wrapping thread (toward you or away from you). tying off the hackle may be a different story but achievable.

if anybody has charlies cravens books (not sure which one as i am at work and no access to my library), he makes an statement/arguement that materials should held in the dominant hand while tying in. that would put your vise in a left handers position for a right handed tyer and vice versa for a left handed tyer. gonna check on that later when i get home.

people tie using their right or left hand because that is their dominant hand not by which way the thread twists however there are tyers who tie left handed because they were sitting opposite of a right handed tyer (i think that is the case with charlie craven)

it only a second or two to twist or untwist your tying thread. fly tying is not a speed contest.

so whatever the reason, just tie in a way/direction that is most comfortable to you.

So your point is that either direction will be fine, which is exactly what I wrote above.

Charlie was self taught and set up his vise the way that he thought it should be set up (which turned out to be backwards) and therefore wound up tying left handed. He talks about that and about the resulting thread twist difference in his book "Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying." The effect is real, and I'm not suggesting that anyone should change their dominate hand, but just be aware that the handedness and direction will make a difference that needs to be compensated for in the process. This is something I learnd from Charlie that made me a better tyer and I though it was worth passing along.

It's all well and good to say that you should use whatever is most comfortable, and I completely agree with that. But I do think it is important to recognize that there are differences. The more you think about what you are doing and understand the way the materials behave the better you will be as a tyer. There is no right or wrong as long as your process gets you the desired results.

Anybody want to discuss the direction of dubbing twist relative to the direction of thread wrapping rolleyes.gif

Mike.