Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
blackdog1101

Barb Crushers

What barb crusher do you use? I have lost the one I had for years, and figured I'd ask what you folks use before I make a purchase. Doesn't seem like there are too many options on the regular tyer supply websites. Thanks!

I use a set of hemostats that I purchased at a hardware store for $2 while I am at the vice. When I am on the water and need to crush a barb I use my fishing hemostats to crush the barb. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive and does the trick.

Depends on what size hooks you're talking about. I always forget to crimp them at my vise unless I need to for passing a bead over the barb.

For bronze hooks size 6 on down, I use my hemostats. For larger bronze hooks and saltwater hooks, I use a pliers. I have a pair of needle nose pliers I keep in a holster when on a boat and a mini pair of smooth flat jaw needle nose that I keep in my van for my urban angling. Both I purchased at Harbor Freight for a buck or two each - they also have hemostats.

Kirk

I bought a black hemostat which I diden't like, It had flat jaws so I cut off the two locking devices and use them to crush the barb.

I just do it on the water with some hemo's, always carry this thing round my neck and seems to handle my needs, from nail knotting in 5 seconds flat to crushing barbs, just load up with tippet of choice for the day and off you go.

post-29540-0-20767800-1359653543_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I prefer to crimp my barbs while I'm tying, I've had several times when I've been on the water and crimping the barb, and the whole hook point breaks off. I can't recall that they were any particular hook type, I just suppose that since the hook is a little bit thinner at the barb it can fracture there occasionally. If the hook is going to break, I'd prefer it does so before I tie a fly on it.

Since 90% of what I tie is either for trout or panfish, roughly size 8 and smaller, so I'll just use a pair of hemostats or needlenose pliers, and avoid buying anything at all. Thanks for the feedback.

As blackdog said, very annoying when hook snaps on the river. I try to buy barbless or crush at the vice before I tie a pattern.

I just do it on the water with some hemo's, always carry this thing round my neck and seems to handle my needs, from nail knotting in 5 seconds flat to crushing barbs, just load up with tippet of choice for the day and off you go.e of m

I need to be more proactive about crushing the barbs as I tie. I tend to use needle nose pliers because some of the hooks I use will not be phased by the typical hemostat.

On a side note, how do you like the Abel clippers FlyFishin'Jam?

I've been pondering a pair, but the cheap side of me says I'm crazy and the fishing side of me says buy me now.

hey sthrncomfort, the abels are pretty nice! beats any other nipper i have used. Was a gift but i do know what sort of damage they are. Oh u re right about hemo's and large hooks, *grasping hemos really tight and trying to roll them around the barb, just doesn't work so well.

Wondering some folks are saying they have broken hooks trying to remove the barb, is that tiny hooks? Never really experienced that.