Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dryfly purist

Woven midge emerger - step by step

This is a step by step of a woven midge emerger. I hope you like it :-)

Hook: Knapek P #16

Body: Black micro stretch tubing

Thorax: Black polyamid dubbing

wing: A cdc feather called "Tigered cdc)

Hackle: Grizzle hackle

TIE IN TO PIECES OF BLACK MICRO STRETCH TUBING

8435502511_b344366467_b.jpg

STRETCH IT AS FAR AS YOU CAN BEFORE YOU TIE IT DOWN WITH THE TYING TREAD IN EVEN TURNS.

8435503109_9ae826e555_b.jpg

THEN IT SHOULD LOOK SOMETHING LIKE THIS. BECAUSE YOU HAVE STRETCHED THE STRETCH TUBING HARD, IT WILL NOT BUILD MUCH ON

THE HOOK.

8436588914_81e4ea67d6_b.jpg

NOW IT´S TIME TO FIND THE NEEDLE TO MAKE THE WOVEN BODY. MAKE A LOOP THAT GOES OVER THE HOOK SHANK WITH THE STRETCH TUBING

ON THE RIGHT SIDE. TAKE THE NEEDLE AND GO DOWN THE LOOP AND UNDER THE HOOK SHANK. YOU ARE GOING TO GET HOLD OF THE OTHER

PIECE OF STRETCH TUBING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE HOOK.

8436589546_3e74e7cf22_b.jpg

GET HOLD OF IT LIKE THIS!!!!!

8435504957_d1c9d87c1b_b.jpg

TWIST THE NEEDLE TO GRAB THE STRETCH TUBING AND START TO BRING IT BACK THROUGH THE LOOP UNDERNEATH THE HOOK.

8436590576_0e6c88bc1d_b.jpg

LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!

8436591100_7cbb5a43b8_b.jpg

NOW YOU TAKE THE STRETCH TUBING ON BOTH SIDES AND PULL IT HARD TO MAKE A SMALL TIGHT KNOT. THE FIRST KNOT IS NOW READY

8436591678_579393ff20_b.jpg

NOW YOU START THE SECOND KNOT. THIS TIME YOU MAKE THE LOOP UNDERNEATH THE HOOK AND GO UP AND OVER WITH THE NEEDLE.

8436592232_6bd5e3a218_b.jpg

GET HOLD OF THE PIECE OF STRETCH TUBING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE HOOK LIKE SHOWN ON THE PICTURE.

8435507761_f3fbb7b038_b.jpg

Terje

Here comes the rest of the step by step woven midge emerger:

PULL IT THROUG THE LOOP ON TOP OF THE HOOK LIKE YOU SEE ON THE PICTURE.

8436593266_2b4e18c3a6_b.jpg

ONCE AGAIN YOU TAKE THE STRETCH TUBING IN BOTH HANDS AND PULL HARD TO MAKE A SMALL TIGHT KNOT.

8435508989_2b409ec475_b.jpg

REPEAT THE PROCEDURE FOR THE FIRST AND SECOND KNOT UNTIL YOU GET A BODY THAT HOPEFULLY LOOK SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

PS. USING TO PIECES WITH THE SAME COLOR CAN BE A BIT TRICKY BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BE FOCUSED TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DONE IT

IN THE RIGHT ORDER. IT´S MUCH MORE EASY TO WORK WITH TO DIFFERENT COLORS BUT KEEP THE CONCENTRATION AND YOU WILL MAKE IT :-)

8435509461_f56ba04c8f_b.jpg

TIE OFF THE REST OF THE STRETCH TUBING LIKE THIS.

8435510113_a63df36286_b.jpg

TIE INN A CDC FEATHER. I HAVE USED A COLOR THAT´S CALLED "TIGERED CDC" IN THIS CASE.

8435511101_3494e37df5_b.jpg

TIE IN A GRIZZLE HACKLE

8435512101_8d284ec048_b.jpg

DUBB THE THORAX

8436597822_d1535f7a15_b.jpg

WIND THE HACKLE THREE TIMES AROUND THE THORAX TOWARDS THE EYE.

8436598830_7a68ee4064_b.jpg

TAKE A PAIR OF SCISSORS AND TRIM THE HACKLE OVER AND UNDER THE FLY.

8435514871_63abdd3c3f_b.jpg

FOLD THE CDC OVER TOWARDS THE EYE AND TIE IT DOWN WITH A FEW TURNS OF THE TYING TREAD. THEN YOU GO TO THE FRONT AND MAKE A FEW

TURNS WITH THE TYING TREAD. THE TIP OF THE CDC WILL NOW RISE AND STAND UP LIKE IT SHOULD :-)

8436600242_22f063b70d_b.jpg

THE WOVEN MIDGE EMERGER ARE NOW READY FOR SOME SERIOUS TROUT HUNTING :-)

8436601196_4abc237ed6_b.jpg

THE END

Terje

Good looking tie. And a nice SBS. How small will you tie those? 16 is a little big for my neighborhood midges...I guess the lakes have 'em that big or larger.

Good looking tie. And a nice SBS. How small will you tie those? 16 is a little big for my neighborhood midges...I guess the lakes have 'em that big or larger.

Thanks a lot :-) :-)

Midges can vary in size in Norway. it´s possible to tie this down to a #18 hook, any smaller than that it will become difficult when it comes to make a woven body that is thin enough as

a midge emerger body.

As you say, you will find midges that is quite big on lakes especially in early spring :-)

Terje

Terje, you are on a roll . Once again, impressive work. That midge tubing looks realistic when it is weaved like that.

great fly and SBS Terje I look at your cdc it is beautiful compared to the stuff I get can you recomend a place to get the quality of yours?

Thanks a lot :-) :-)

I use cdc from a company called Guide Line, mainly the "Jumbo" feathers:

http://www.guideline.no/JUMBO+CDC+1+GRAM.d2Y-18UlNO38pBp7q5B8Nxh0xE2N13PYpwlrO4r.ips?template=engWebshop

Guide Line also has "selected" and "bulk" but i prefer "Jumbo" feathers. They are long feathers with long fibers and i love them :-)

I have also heard good things about Swiss cdc but have not used them myself:

http://www.swisscdc.com/cdc-undyed.html

Terje

Terje, you are on a roll . Once again, impressive work. That midge tubing looks realistic when it is weaved like that.

Thanks a lot for your kind comment, Cruz M :-) :-)

Terje

I almost overlooked this. That is really amazing Terje (I will try not to call you Mr. Potter in public because everyone, including me, will be after free magic wand waves) I really have to get some of that tubing and try these bodies. I also wondered where you got those huge cdc feathers and am glad that you told Paul. I can't be broke forever. I also have to compliment you on something really awesome. I have been with my wife for almost 24 years and she has showed little interest in fishing or tying or anything of that nature. I was looking at your sbs earlier today and she happened to walk by and saw you weaving with a crochet hook and stopped and started looking. She talked about showing me what you were doing on the fly. The woman is great with knitting and crocheting and now she is talking about the different ways that you could apply the different knots or weaves to a fly body. You have done something in a matter of seconds that I have been unable to do for years. Thanks for sharing this with everyone and Take Care, Tony

Thanks a lot, Tony :-) :-)

Tony wrote:

I also have to compliment you on something really awesome. I have been with my wife for almost 24 years and she has showed little interest in fishing or tying or anything of that nature. I was looking at your sbs earlier today and she happened to walk by and saw you weaving with a crochet hook and stopped and started looking. She talked about showing me what you were doing on the fly. The woman is great with knitting and crocheting and now she is talking about the different ways that you could apply the different knots or weaves to a fly body. You have done something in a matter of seconds that I have been unable to do for years. Thanks for sharing this with everyone and Take Care, Tony

Wow, that was really cool the hear :-) :-)

I kind of picture you and your wife sitting down together tying flies side by side from now on coming up with new crocheting techniques :-) :-)

Great story and i wish you and your wife all the best :-)

Take care

Terje

I would have never thought of this technique, thank you for posting- I have been waiting for a good pattern like this! Thank you very much.

I would have never thought of this technique, thank you for posting- I have been waiting for a good pattern like this! Thank you very much.

Thanks a lot, Kieran :-)

Happy to hear that you liked it :-)

Terje

Terje you have a way with the SBS.....so well done and easy to follow...

Murray

That´s really nice to hear, Murray :-)

Thanks a lot :-)

Terje