Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AKRuss

Ceramic Bobbins

I treated myself to four new ceramic bobbins that arrived today. I'm having a difficult time threading them. I generally use a looped piece of monofilament I got from a dentist but I can't get it past the far ceramic guide. I can thread the new bobbins using a wire loop tool but have to sort of force it through. Am I missing something? Is there a different way to thread ceramic bobbins?

I treated myself to four new ceramic bobbins that arrived today. I'm having a difficult time threading them. I generally use a looped piece of monofilament I got from a dentist but I can't get it past the far ceramic guide. I can thread the new bobbins using a wire loop tool but have to sort of force it through. Am I missing something? Is there a different way to thread ceramic bobbins?

Feed the thread through the bottom and suck on the top.

And here come the jokes.

It sounds like you bought bobbins with ceramic inserts,...rather than bobbins with full ceramic tubes. The short inserts are inserted into the flared ends of the metal tube. The inner diameter of the ceramic is a bit smaller than that of the steel tube, allowing a threader that is soft or slightly curved to wander without finding the opening to the opposite insert.

My ceramic bobbins are by Tiemco and Norvise, both with full length ceramic tubes, so I can't offer any ideas other than to pass on the nylon loops in favor of wire.

I'll third the sucking technique, until the bobbin gets clogged with...wax?...I guess that is what it is??? Then push a bobbin cleaner through it and start sucking again. BTW, ceramic is dynamite, although I do use the tiemco full length tubes primarily.

My new bobbins have ceramic inserts at either end of the tube and are NOT full length ceramic. I thought they were a little too inexpensive to be true. They're simply tough to thread. I tried the sucking method and it works okay but I still prefer the monofilament loop. I looked at the Tiemco bobbins and they look good. Has anyone tried the Wasatch or Stonfo wishbone-style bobbins? Are they as good as the Tiemco?

Ok, the ones with inserts can be PIA to thread. I'd use some good, long wire threader with those if the sucking method does not work well.

I got a Wasatch ceramic at the Symposium last fall. There are 2 flavors,. the full tube and the ceramic insert. I've got one of each. They both work fine, but I prefer the full ceramic tube.

I just purchased a Rainy's bobbin threader and it works great on all my bobbins, including the ones with ceramic inserts. It's sort of a long needle with the side of the eye opened and a handle. It also cleans the wax out of the tubes when you use it. The thing even has a half hitch tool on the other end, LOL. If it only had a church key for a beer!

Along with the threader, I purchased two Tiemco bobbins with ceramic tubes. I think I'm really going to like them. They are more spendy then the ceramic insert types.

I just purchased a Rainy's bobbin threader and it works great on all my bobbins, including the ones with ceramic inserts. It's sort of a long needle with the side of the eye opened and a handle. It also cleans the wax out of the tubes when you use it. The thing even has a half hitch tool on the other end, LOL. If it only had a church key for a beer!

Along with the threader, I purchased two Tiemco bobbins with ceramic tubes. I think I'm really going to like them. They are more spendy then the ceramic insert types.

I've been using a Rainy's bobbin threader for years and they are fantastic. My only problem is it is yet another gaget to loose on the bench.