Fly Tying

What's in YOUR vest?

a pack of desicant to dry flies(homade by me using silica gel beads crushed with a hammer),

Cool idea, I'll have to try that once (IF) I exhaust my Frog's Fanny! I know I have at least 6 of those packs in various containers right now.

Me.

SALTS! (Smiled A Little, Then Stopped.)

I have no vest but in my bag is four fly boxes: streamers,nymphs,dries,and small stuff for the bighorn. A few leaders...three tippet spools....a handheld video camera and a little pocket digital.

There are also four clippers....two forceps...thingamabobbers....gink .....lead shot.....Altoids mint tins with assorted flies....whatever reels I take that day....mini tripod....blah blah blah

I am a cheap SOB if I can make something I don't have to buy I will I use silica gel for alot of things all my friends save me their packages of it I put it in my gun cases to keep any moisture away works great, I make some powder out of it and dump it down anthills in my garden to kill the ants, also works on wasps and hornets.

Mike, I did try a rabbi but the water kept parting, and the cleric was a bit dodgy wearing a vest and all................ so I stuck with the priest. Always have a dram to hand that way too............

I forgot about my flask it is in the inside pocket and it is only used to warm up my cold insides after a day of chasing chrome in the winter months I keep it filled with aged scotch a few sips and your ready to hit the freezing cold waters again

Me.

SALTS! (Smiled A Little, Then Stopped.)

Sorry ... I put that there because I don't have a vest. I was going to elaborate a but I didn't ahve time right then. I don't get the chance to wade much, so I usually just have all my stuff in a box or pouch in the boat.

I am outfitting my homemade lanyard fro some wading, but it's very spartan at the moment.

About 4 months ago I ditched my vest for a fishpond chest pack, because I felt my vest was too bloated with stuff I didn't/rarely used. I now usually only carry 1-2 fly boxes (for me anything more is just a waste of space), 5x and 6x tippet, 7.5 and 9 foot leaders, foam indicators with a small bag of rubber bands, fishing license, forceps, clippers, I tuck my net into the back strap of the pack, and my water bottle attaches to the strap on my side.

I can't believe no one mentioned toilet paper!! I take a roll that is almost gone, 1/4 of the roll left or so, and fold it flat so it fits in my pack without taking up too much space. This has saved me on more than one occasion...

Heck what's wrong with a good leaf. Or better still the neck of a goose or passing water bird, some Greek bloke wrote a whole book on the best creature to wipe on. TRUE.

A bear and a rabbit are walking together through the woods. The bear stops and takes a crap looks at the rabbit and asks "Do you have a problem with poop sticking to your fur?" The rabbit replies "no." The bear says great and wipes his but with the rabbit!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing as switch10 about the tp. Get the little rolls made for camping or backpacking because they don't have the cardboard roll inside and take up less space. Well, I guess I just admited one of the things thats in my vest. I will stick to using the paper instead of a critter. If the urge of nature calls quickly then I might not have enough time to set up a snare or deadfall to get my toilet paper substitute in time...