Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tmds3

First Tie and First Post

Well I finally decided to take the plunge and learn to tie. I am down for a few weeks after a knee surgery and figured perfect time to learn.

So after getting a few supplies I decided to try a chernonle ant as my first attempt since i use them for bream.

Sorry for the cruddy cell phone pic as the camera battery was dead, will get better ones from here on out.

I took this pic before I trimmed the front down.

Without further ado here is my attempt.

2013-02-01130245_zps0bbc8f09.jpg

Thanks, decided to start with a simple tie first to get used to using the tools, that whip finisher is kicking my tail.LOL

I am also gonna try my luck at some small poppers as well.

Welcome! Nice first tie -- any bluegill alive should eat that. :)

FWIW, I like the rotary whip finish tool but hate the non-rotary ones, but a simple half-hitch tool is much easier to use. The end of the handle of your bodkin, if you have one, should be recessed - that's a half-hitch tool. When you're ready to tie off, take two turns of thread around the tool, slip the recessed end over the eye of the hook, slide the thread off the tool, presto! Half-hitch. Add two more and you're done. If you don't have the tool, you can use the end of a ball-point pen (the retractible kind) or even your index finger.

Good luck and have fun!