Fly Tying
Jimboha!

Stillwater Blob Flies Swap!

Oh, yeah, most definitely. I also find it fun to fish with something new. Somewhere I picked up a pink and black marabou blob. I only got one cast on it before something big tore it off the line! Made a believer out of me!

Hmm, maybe I'll tie up some of those instead...

Jimboha!

I used some new egg hooks from Allen Fly Fishing I received in an 8 but previously I would use any decent thick wire hook with a wide gape and not too long a shank. B170 by kamasan was one favourite. Blobs can attract aggressive takes so nothing too light.

Thanks Piker20, i have always fished small flies but today i got frustrated and tied on a size 10 wooly bugger that i tied and caught a 22.5 inch rainbow so now i am a believer in these big flies for trout.

If there's a spot open I'd like in. Sure looks a lot easier than the Intruder monstrosities I'm finishing up on.

I have completed 1 swap, have another set ready to send out, and am completing the Intruder swap on short notice on time. If there's still room I'll pm you my phone and addy and info.

Thanx, Nick

Vicrider (Nick),

You're in! I have seen enough of your recent activity (and heard about your good flies), that you don't need to give me your personal info. Any idea which Blob you'll tie?

It looks like we have one more slot open. Any last taker?

Jimboha!

i am a believer in these big flies for trout.

Yes! But a correction (if I may be so bold): "these big flies for big trout"

Jimboha!

Okay, I've been studying the "blob". Seems to have created a huge bit of argument and dissension in England. The problem I'm finding is where to get the genuine blob material. I'd like to do some of the quality flies for the other swappers and make some for myself for this summer. The only place I've been able to find the blob hackle for sale is England. I sent a note to an auction seller to see if he'd combine shipping on several packs but we'll have to wait and see. Does anyone have an American source for the "Blob Fritz"?

Looking at multiple blobs you could easy emulate Blob Fritz with Chenille or Estaz wraps of sort ....

Estaz Grande, Polar Chenille, Frizzle Chenille (wide 3/4"), Spectra Chennile (Orvis spelling) - there are lots of alternatives. Just want to make sure the width is twice the hook gape so the strands sticking out will almost but not quiet mask the hook point. I've used shorter but don't like the effect as much because you can't get them to angle back.

I've also done them completely in marabou, but some might not consider that a real 'blob'. As far as this swap goes, they are allowed.

Jimboha!